Old 03-08-2017, 08:46 PM

Default Hypothetical question

They say that there's no such thing as a stupid question but I'm going to put that to the test...

You respond to an opioid overdose and find two patients non-responsive. You have one BVM and start ventilating the first patient while your partner administers Narcan. The first patient responds quickly.

Question...Would you reuse your only BVM on the second patient in a life saving effort or do you avoid doing this so you don't expose the second patient to possible disease?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 AM
FTCB

Simple really, if you are concerned about transmission a quick alcohol swab on the mask should take care of that.The BVM has a one way valve so no concerns about anything coming back.....dont know about your dept but we carry an extra mask and BVM.As a wise man once said, desperate times call for desperate measures.Hope that helps.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:14 AM

Thanks for your reply.

That's kind of my thought as well although I'm interested in hearing more opinions on it. We had a bit of a heated debate about this at work last night...there was the feeling by some that re-using the BVM could be a liability issue and that potentially infecting the patient wasn't worthwhile. I'm not sure about that though... if the options are certain death or a slim possibility of disease transfer, I think I'd at least try to preserve life.