Old 08-30-2006, 05:46 AM
"Keep your eyes down"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedhead
You are onto sumpin there.It may not get you your Z but who cares thats the cheaper expense of the two.Go to your local schoolbus company and look into PT work. They will put you through your B license which as mentioned covers all but A and M.

Do a few payback shifts(to pay for your Z courseLOL) and resign. It costs you nothing to get the instruction and testing.I know a few guys that have gone this route and some even stayed on PT and did charters and coach work,just no school routesLOL.

Dentedhead
Alot of companies train drivers for vitually no cost. Some expect u to stay on and either drive a run part-time or drive charters.
I only suggest it because a B allows u to drive a D and an F. And if u have ur Z, its a bonus...Mind u there is alot more "stuff" to remember with a B.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:08 AM

I have my BZ and it cost me less than $200.

I went to a local school bus company, in the summer a few years back, and got hired on part-time / casual, they trained me, and are accredited with the MTO, so the only time I was at the MTO was to get my picture taken. The bus company handled the rest.

I drive once in awhile now, when I'm not busy with other fire related things. I went to the local college and did my Z endorsement, again the college handled everything I just needed to go to the MTO to show proof, and update my licence.

Total time 40 hrs bus training, and day & half Z course.
Total cost approx. $150 (3 years ago)

Pez
Old 08-30-2006, 06:41 PM

There is a company in Hamilton, I believe it is called Modern Driver Training (moderntraining.com) that has a special course designed especially for prospective firefighters. You do all your training on a pumper, so you get the benifit of learning pump operations at the same time you are training for your DZ. The pupmer is also made available to you for your road test. Not sure of the cost. I have been meaning to check this out myself, but I just haven't had the time.

The also offer all kinds of training courses for fire: hazmat awareness, auto extrication, ect.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:02 PM
"Hot enough for ya??"

I got my Ont DZ last year, the steps were:

1) Get the Provincial Medical form, go see the doc and get it signed off.
2) Get the Airbrake and Truck manuals from the Ont Gov't, and study them. All the testing the gov't does is based upon what's in those books and nothing more.
3) Take your completed medical form to your local Ont License office and apply of a D license. You will write a couple of multiple choice exams: Air Brakes, Rules of the Road, etc. If you pass you get your Z endorsement that day.
4) At the same time you can schedule your road test to firm up a date. Depending upon where you live and the number of truck driver examiners, it might be up to a 2 month timeframe before your road test occurs.
5) Develop a circle check routine that becomes something you can do in your sleep. For assistance find a good driver in your community and get their help.
6) Practice driving the proper class of truck. For me I had access to our Pumpers, Tankers and Rescue, but you may have to make other arrangements.
7) Go do the road test portion.

Total cost was $75. Your costs might differ depending on where you are able to do your training and practicing.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:10 AM

If I knew where you were located I know a great trainer/tester that will walk you through everything that you need to know to get your "Z endorsment" and your "D license".This guy is great, he will not pass you untill you know everything it is you need to know, but he will work with you untill you know it all by heart. Even if it takes 2-3 months. Let me know where you are at, even if your a bit away he is always teaching classes. You never know, he might even be teaching on in your town. Hope this might help. Good luck
Old 09-15-2006, 02:42 AM
A truckie at heart

So if I understand correctly, here in Quebec we actually made something simple??? We have classes 1 through 6 with subdivisions and endorsments...

Class 1 is a semi but and you have to be endorsed for air brakes and a manual transmission, but with it you get classes 1 through 5

2 being busses with 25 or more passengers
3 being for straight body trucks
4A emergency vehicles
4B Busses 24 passengers and less
4C Taxis
5 Car
6 motorcycle

I have been thinking about applying to some departments in Ontario, do you know if I could get an equivalency or would I have to go through the whole process again?

Firefighting, 250 years of tradition unimpeded by progress!
Old 12-07-2006, 08:58 AM

I started this thread, and I thought I would finish it! ;-)

I got my DZ (Ontario) and wanted to share a few experiences for others out there who might be thinking of getting it. The list below is great, but wanted to add to it a little.

1) I attached a PDF of the pre-trip inspection I used to do the walk around. I could not find anything semi-complete. Use it at your own discretion. It worked for me, it may or may not work for you.

2) I rented a truck as I could not find anything else. When you do your pre-trip/drive test, you have to have a vehicle that is in the right class (duh). But what they did not tell me right away is that the vehicle can be licensed as a "G" as long as it *can* be licensed as a "D". So, I went to Ryder and rented a "G" class 24' that could be licensed as a "D". Worked for me.

3) When you go for your pre-trip/driving test. MAKE SURE YOU DO A PRE-TRIP AND BRING IT WITH YOU. They asked for it and I am thankful that I had it. I literally printed out the one attached, checked all the boxes (and did the check!!), signed it and dated it at the bottom.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightymouse
I got my Ont DZ last year, the steps were:

1) Get the Provincial Medical form, go see the doc and get it signed off.
2) Get the Airbrake and Truck manuals from the Ont Gov't, and study them. All the testing the gov't does is based upon what's in those books and nothing more.
3) Take your completed medical form to your local Ont License office and apply of a D license. You will write a couple of multiple choice exams: Air Brakes, Rules of the Road, etc. If you pass you get your Z endorsement that day.
4) At the same time you can schedule your road test to firm up a date. Depending upon where you live and the number of truck driver examiners, it might be up to a 2 month timeframe before your road test occurs.
5) Develop a circle check routine that becomes something you can do in your sleep. For assistance find a good driver in your community and get their help.
6) Practice driving the proper class of truck. For me I had access to our Pumpers, Tankers and Rescue, but you may have to make other arrangements.
7) Go do the road test portion.

Total cost was $75. Your costs might differ depending on where you are able to do your training and practicing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pre_Trip_Inspection.pdf (23.2 KB, 3029 views)
Old 01-10-2007, 11:05 AM

Default DZ Licence School

How to get your DZ

Obtain medical form from ministry office have family doctor fill out $60-100.

Study truck handbook you can buy it from canadian tire $ 18.00.

GO to local ministry and write D class knowledge test $85.00

When you have all the above completed there is a school in Hamilton, Ont
that trains you on a actual pumper truck, the program is 22 hours in
length (10 hours on the pumper and 12 hours of classroom for the Z
endorsement) The use of the pumper for the road test is included
in the program cost. The school name is Modern Training Ontario
905 573-9675
Old 01-10-2007, 08:42 PM

Our department put the new recruits through the training process (brought in outside instructor) paid for medical and paid for all MOT fees. Not a bad deal eh!
Old 01-21-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Your dept should pay for it

My dept not only pays for the training...also pays us to show up for the training and use of the truck etc.

Will not pay for the license part though and I think this is more than fair considering they are benefiting from us having a DZ.