Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > The Lounge > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2004, 07:36 PM
J.F.L

Thanks for filling in the blanks bfrd22
Old 09-29-2004, 07:37 AM
bdbd

Default here were we are !!!

i went to the meeting yesturday there were some good point and some that were not good at all
the situation is very sad,
the fire truck that we use to have in pointe au chene was call dead on 31 july 2004.
now even if the fire chief had told that to the mayer and concil over a year ago the info never went trough
so now we are stuck, cause some people saw the house insurance go up by 300 $ cause there no more truck in the fire station.
im mad cause they cause they pushing us againts the wallwith that 1985 truck they have pointe au chene resident by the throat and all the fire fighter are because they have nothing to do their job and all that because of a politic problem. ... i had a good chat with a fire fighter (one of my good friend by the way ) who understand my point as long as i understand his ..

even a guy from fire truck company who
give me a quote for a truck that he already send to the township got a call this morning cause the man from mrc argenteuil to know why he gave that quote and who i was.
but that guyfrom tecnofeu is ready to lease us a truck while he is building our new one
for 273000 $ ...

anyway just wanted to let where we were and help you understand the situation i am still not in love with that 1985

thanks for your help
yan
Old 09-29-2004, 11:04 AM

I am not sure what Quebec has, but, In Ontario the Office of the Fire Marshal has advisors who will help a community with such choices. They can give advice based on what has happened in other similar areas. In my opinion I think you recieve a greater value by purchasing a new apparatus. The unit will have warranty for any repairs and should last 15 years as a front line pump. The firefighters of your community deserve the assurance that the equipment they use will keep them safe and that the community they protect will provide them with proper equipment, not the cast offs of a bigger community. If it wasn't good enough for them why should your people settle for it?

Old 10-15-2004, 06:15 AM
Capt. B

Unhappy

Our first up truck is so old that it has a picture of moses on it.
We had the money in the bank to buy a new truck, but 3 years ago the town decided that a new street sweeper was more important so they took the fire truck money and bought the street sweeper instead. Now there is nothing put aside for a new truck. That's where the priorities of some of the towns are. There hasn't been a "major" structure fire for years so it's just not a priority for anyone other than those of us that have to respond to the calls.

We can only do the best we can with the equipment that we have.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Billy Blazes

Default Ontario Fire Marshal's Office

Hey Leafs Fan

I disagree with looking to the OFM and their advisors about operational details. They do not have the balls to make any good decisions for the fire service in Ontario.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Ontario Fire Marshal's Office

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Blazes
Hey Leafs Fan

I disagree with looking to the OFM and their advisors about operational details. They do not have the balls to make any good decisions for the fire service in Ontario.

In most cases I agree with your sentiments, but in this case (trucks) I think they give good advice because they have liability to worry about.
I agree they don't have the will to enforce proper standards as is their right under the FPPA, But when a municipality needs advice they are a good resource just as long as they don't have to make the decisions. I understand you may have a different perspective on this from your time in Murray Twp. and the pumper purchase a few years ago.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:34 AM
Skidz

I am not to up on the Fire truck situation but I was at the Fire Confrence here in Brandon Manitoba, and they had a pile of nice rigs. There was a sales man from Fort Garry Fire Trucks that had a big write up to give to the smaller communities to take to there council about the age and standards of trucks, of course he was trying to sell new but he was very informative about the standards and legality with regards to buying or even having older outdated trucks. I wish I could give you the guys name but I can't remember. He brought up a good point though, "why do most of the small communities have brand new garbage trucks but still expect the Firefighters to fight fire in a pre 80's truck".
His prices for new didn't seem to bad compared to alot of the used ones on the internet.