Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 PM

Default Apparatus Check Sheets

Hello all, I checked to see if anything was on the boards for this and found nothing. Hope I was thorough enough. We are re-vamping our truck check sheets. Does anyone have an example they use that they could send me? Hoping for weekly/daily inspection stuff like fluids, under hood stuff and equipment inventory type things. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.

send me a PM if you wish
Old 05-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Happy being a worker bee!

Send a message via MSN to firefighter26

From what I have seen, inventory sheets are all pretty much been the same. IE, broken down by cabinet and what is in it. A list on one side of the page and places to check them off on the other. At the top is usually a date section, and what truck, along with names who did the inventory. At the bottom a small space for REMARKS or NOTES.

However, how departments do inventory, strangely enough, can be very different. I've been in two department's that had two different approaches to the same concept. Both department's did weekly inventory checks on their practice nights, but how they did them were both unique. Both had their advantages and disadvantages.

Department A
Truck checks done weekly, after their weekly practice. Everything was checked thoroughly, including fluid levels on trucks, generators, tools, etc. The sheets themselves actually held a months worth of "check marks" for each week, and a few extras for large events, such as big calls. After the checks were done, the members had a quick meeting to debrief practice and also go over the lists (IE, anything broken or missing).

Department B
Also did truck checks weekly, only their checks were done before practice to allow more actual "hands on time" with the tools. Each week a general inventory was completed, but each week also had a specific focus. IE, a thorough check of FR equipment during week 1, small engines on week 2, special rescue (ropes, water rescue) on week 3, etc, for the month. The sheets themselves only held one weeks worth of check marks. If something was missing, it was up to the officer or firefighter of that truck to find out where it was.

PROS/CONS
- Having a months worth of "check mark boxes" vs only that weeks allowed for better tracking of tools. IE, if the left handed hose wrench was here the last three weeks, but isn't now, where did it go? However, having a single week on a sheet also allowed the sheets to be updated when equipment moves from truck to truck more regularly, which is a big issue in my current department (mainly because we have so many units)

- Having truck checks before practice is nice because it allows it to get done and out of the way, thus hopefully giving us more time to practice. However, doing checks after practice ensures that everything is put away properly.

- Those that show up just before practice still do inventory at the end of the night, vs doing it before practice and the same people keep coming in just as inventory finishes up.

- Having a thorough check each week is often time consuming, cutting down on actual practice time, but you know that it is getting checked all the time. However, on the reverse side, checking the same thing each week often leads to complacency.

- Doing a thorough inventory on items like the FR kits one week 1, rope rescue on week 2, cuts down on inventory times, but also means that the ropes, for example, can go a month without anything more than a general check to make sure they are still there.

Overall, I still have not decided which one I like best. As I said, each one has its pros and cons. I don't have any sheets that I can post a copy of right now, but I think you get the general idea.

Good luck with the project!

"If you don't like what you see, Why don't you fight it?
If you know there's something wrong, Why don't you right it?"
- Trooper
Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Truck Check Sheets

Wow! Great input. That helps Thanx Jason!
Old 05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Serving since 1998

Default A sample

Here's a sample in PDF format. The original is in XLS. I have to give credit to a fine fire Captain in our dept for creating them

Sheets get filled out after every call. Anything missing gets noted, and anything broken does as well, but also gets documented on a deficiency form (triplicate) so that all mechanical issues are noted as well as the repairs made.

If you'd like the xls version, I'd be glad to share it with you.

randy AT ruralfire DOT ca
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vehicle Checksheets Ver 4.pdf (8.3 KB, 399 views)
File Type: pdf Vehicle Checksheets Ver 4 - rescue.pdf (15.7 KB, 441 views)
Old 05-24-2008, 12:32 AM
mcaldwell

You can always check VFIS for sample sheets as well. Somewhat generic, but a useful start.

http://www.vfis.com/resources.htm

Look under the resources and downloads section, for safety forms. There are plenty.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM

Thanks for what I have gotten so far, I really appreciate it!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:10 PM

I'm on a volunteer hall. We're pretty informal, and the sheets are somewhat generic, more of a prompt of areas to look at then specific tasks (ie., gas and oil levels on generator). The sheets assume that you're going to notice items such as nozzles, or hard suction missing, which can be taken for granted sometimes, but overall, these sheets seem to serve us reasonably well.

Can't attach the file as it is an invalid file type. Will see if I can get it to you somehow.