Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Firefighting & Rescue > Industrial Firefighting
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2009, 05:43 PM

Default Offshore Oil Rig Firefighter/EMT Positions

Just looking for more information about Offshore Oil Rig Firefighting positions in the petroleum industry.

Does anyone know the qualifications necessary to apply for such position. Where or who would one contact to find out more info and/or related website links.

Thanks for your assistance and stay SAFE!

Rob
Old 03-05-2009, 05:53 PM

My uncle is the Safety Officer on a rig in the North Sea. I was planning on talking to him and finding out some info on that kind of stuff, I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks Cam27, I would appreciate that I will reciprocate to you any related info I find as well.

What I have found thus far is aside from Firefighter/Paramedic certification, it appears most offshore (petroleum) companies also want an "Offshore Basic Survival Course". It appears that the only place/company that provides such training is in Newfoundland and their link is:

http://www.mi.mun.ca/ossc/faqs.htm

However, I'm not only looking for what certifications/qualifications are typically required, I'm looking for actual contacts or company links that I can call and find out what the "Real Deal" is and exactly the working conditions, pay, etc. of working on an ocean rig.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Rob
Old 03-05-2009, 08:19 PM

I could be wrong....but I think most offshore rigs work the same as a ship does in that everyone must be trained in firefighting. Most ships don't have an actual 'fire crew'......it all depends on who's on watch when a fire breaks out as to who that fire crew is. Usually just goes by muster station orders.

They may have 'fire teams'...but I'm pretty sure all those teams have other jobs on the rig when they're not firefighting or training.

Like I said....I could be wrong though. I work on a ship, and just go by what guys I've worked with, and gone to school with, who have worked on the rigs. I'll check with my Captain in the morning....he worked the rigs for a while.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCHam View Post
I could be wrong....but I think most offshore rigs work the same as a ship does in that everyone must be trained in firefighting. Most ships don't have an actual 'fire crew'......it all depends on who's on watch when a fire breaks out as to who that fire crew is. Usually just goes by muster station orders.

They may have 'fire teams'...but I'm pretty sure all those teams have other jobs on the rig when they're not firefighting or training.

Like I said....I could be wrong though. I work on a ship, and just go by what guys I've worked with, and gone to school with, who have worked on the rigs. I'll check with my Captain in the morning....he worked the rigs for a while.
I think you are correct as far as fire fighting goes. As far as I know there is no dedicated fire fighter positions on board a rig, everyone is trained.

However I believe it is different for medical personnel. I know the majority of crew on a rig will be at least first aid trained, but I think there is still a doctor/paramedic/nurse or all of the above that works in sick bay. I'm not certain though.

Cam
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam27 View Post
However I believe it is different for medical personnel. I know the majority of crew on a rig will be at least first aid trained, but I think there is still a doctor/paramedic/nurse or all of the above that works in sick bay. I'm not certain though.

Cam
I think you're right as well. One of the guys in my FD is a paramedic, and he was offered a position on the rigs....was some pretty nice pay offered with it too.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:03 AM

You can also recieved the Offshore "Basic Survival Training" Course - BST at Survival Systems Training Ltd. in Dartmouth, NS in Woodside. As for positions of Firefighters on rigs the crews working on the deck; Crane operators, and deck hands are part of the fire teams. There is positions for medics thou. Survival Systems also offers many other courses such as High Angle Rescue, Confined Space Rescue, Hazardous Materials, Offshore Fire Team, H2S and many others. http://www.survivalsystemsgroup.com/
Old 03-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Rob,

The BST courses offered at Survival Systems and at OSSC are the same and ate meant to be the basic qualification, safety wise, for someone to work offshore. Supplemental courses, such as Offshore Fire Team (OFT) or Helicopter Landing Officer (HLO), just to give a couple of examples, are offered to certain positions on the rig. As mentioned by someone previous, much of the firefighting duties are taken care of by the crane operators and deckhands i.e. they'd muster when a helicopter was approaching to provide emergency response capabilities.

As far as the medical side goes: I have seen when the rig company will hire their own medic and sometimes they will contract it out. I've seen alot of former military medics out there and any of the civilian types were all very experienced and had previously retired from a full time career. Medics also usually have a deeper safety background as they do much of the orientations for new crew members.

Since fire, safety and medical are so closely tied together in the oil and gas biz (I work in this field) I would suggest that if you want to try your hand at it that you explore some of the opportunities with conventional oil and gas on land and/or in a plant/refinery setting. (Now for the inevitable industrial fire/medical bashing)

It took me 5 years of slaving on land before I got the opportunity to start going international and offshore. But it was all worth it as I love what I do.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:25 PM

Hey guys/gals, a BIG THANKS for your replies and assistance. It was very helpful!!!

DCCHam, what Paramedic certification does the guy on your FD have who was offered a position?? And where did he acquire it?? The reason I ask is that it appears that unlike the United States, each of our provinces have their own Paramedic certification system and identification. Example: Ontario identifies their Paramedics as PCP (Primary Care Paramedics) and the certification is an EMCA-A. That differs from other provinces such as Alberta and BC. The United States seem to be a little more standardized throughout each state as they all have, EMT-B (Basic), EMT-I (Intermediate), EMT-P (Paramedic).

So just which qualifications would be more recognized or even recognized Internationally throughout the Oil/Gas Industry??

Have a great weekend and stay SAFE!!!

Rob
Old 03-08-2009, 01:06 PM

I believe he is an Advanced Care Paramedic.....which would probably be the minimum training required for a medical staff person on a rig. You would be expected to be able to adminster drugs, and would need the qualifications in order to be able to do this.....I would think.

I work on a ship....which is while quite simular to the rigs....is still quite a bit different as well as far as certifications go.