Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Recruitment > Hiring
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 03:56 PM

Default I need some suggestions...

My name is Matt im a volunteer Fire Fighter in Alberta. I have a few big decisions to be making here and I was wondering if I could get some input from you guys. I recently moved back to the Calgary area from B.C and im throwing around the idea of getting back into personal training, which I have experience in, or to take my EMT. I am going to be applying to be a full time Fire Fighter in Calgary but im just wondering if while I am doing that it would be more beneficial to be working doing personal training or getting my EMT. The thing is I have been out of the work force for a few months as I have been pursuing other matters, I am wondering if it would be better to be in the working or getting my EMT while I apply to Calgary. Does any one have a suggestion as to what may be a better move?

Also what other kinds of training might be a good idea for me to look at as far as getting ready for the application process.

Also, does Calgary want you to have your 1001 or do they like tot rain you themselves.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:35 PM

Default gym/school

Getting in shape and hitting the gym is a small commitment. Get your EMT!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 PM

Red face Being in great shape is a +

I have my personal trainer cert. and it hasent helped me get in anywhere!! I would go for the EMT!! Having the 1001 would be a good thing I would think but I think Calgary will take you without it, I would ask them? Being a volunteer is good too, we in BC were you? The more coarses you can get the better! Good luck.....
Old 03-15-2009, 05:46 PM

Default EMT vs. Trainer

Having your EMT can be very beneficial if you wish to become casual at some of the prime time locations in/around calgary e.g. canmore/banff/cochrane which can give you a backdoor into some of the smaller fire departments. I took my EMT initially to better my resume for a "straight" fire department, now i work for an integrated service and would never look back... or at least till the province takes the ambulance haha...
Old 03-15-2009, 06:35 PM

Default Exercise suggestions

Matt,

There's been of talk in this site about cross fit. I started training using their website for guidance.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Exer

The demos page gives you video samples so you can get techniques correct. Look for some firefighter specific routines like, Firefighter Fran (aka just 'Fran') and another which I like is 'fight gone bad'.

Cross fit is cardio, strength and endurance training all rolled into 1. I promise you'll see results if you stick to it. But be prepared to work you butt off

Start slow and build it up. I ended up with a rotator injury from going hard too soon.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 PM

I am assuming by him saying getting back into personal training he means as a trainer working... not getting back into shape.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 PM

[quote=Cinder;139222], I am wondering if it would be better to be in the working or getting my EMT while I apply to Calgary. Does any one have a suggestion as to what may be a better move?

They can take all that you have, the shirt off your back, your toys, your money. But you will always have your education, training and experience. Go to school, don't do drugs.