Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 AM

Default Pros/Cons of being a firefighter?

I ask because I have been accepted in to both the paramedic and firefighting programs at college and can not decide which field I want to pursue. I have also done career surveys, and personality tests, and both jobs keep coming up... so these have been of no help. I was hoping someone who works in the field might be able to share some insider information on their respective career.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:30 AM
wingman

Take the paramedic program. With your paramedic ticket, you can work as a medic, and also have a very valuable and desireable skill to get on with a fire dept. If you take your PCP and decide to go the Fire route, you're medic qualifications will stand out among 100's of applicants with pre-service.
If you take the fire program, you'll have the same diploma as everyone else who's trying to get onto a FD, and you've lost your options to work as a paramedic.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 AM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
Take the paramedic program. With your paramedic ticket, you can work as a medic, and also have a very valuable and desireable skill to get on with a fire dept. If you take your PCP and decide to go the Fire route, you're medic qualifications will stand out among 100's of applicants with pre-service.
If you take the fire program, you'll have the same diploma as everyone else who's trying to get onto a FD, and you've lost your options to work as a paramedic.
What he said.you can work PT making good cash and go to preservice in a couple of years.

Experience as paramedic will still trump preservice in most recruitment or is treated as almost an equivilent.

Dentedhead
Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Senior Member Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedhead View Post
What he said.you can work PT making good cash and go to preservice in a couple of years.

Experience as paramedic will still trump preservice in most recruitment or is treated as almost an equivilent.

Dentedhead
Aside from years of experience in both fields and being highly respected in one (if not both ) of those professions...whaddauno?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 AM

FIRE
pro= Fantastic schedule/pay/work environment/security/
Cons= some bad calls, shift work (pro and con)
overall great
Old 10-05-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedhead View Post

Dentedhead
Wouldn't be true in all jurisdictions, while parmedic training is always a definate plus, for some Departments it would not be accepted as equivelent if the guy changed his mind later down the road and decided to go for fire, he'd have to go back to school and take preservice
Old 10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profire View Post
Wouldn't be true in all jurisdictions, while parmedic training is always a definate plus, for some Departments it would not be accepted as equivelent if the guy changed his mind later down the road and decided to go for fire, he'd have to go back to school and take preservice

Well thats not how we roll in Ontario.....we all know Ontario is the center of all things
Old 10-06-2009, 01:18 AM

Depending on where you are applying, you may require both educations. I know that Regina Fire requires EMT/PCP certification to apply.

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson
Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 PM

Depends where you are. If you're in BC then getting a fire job will sart out with better wages and hours than a starting paramedic. BCAS has been on strike for how long, now?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:22 PM

well god did create firefighters so that police and medics could have someone to look up to....