Old 06-04-2010, 04:09 PM

Default Vehicle Fire Safety

Hey brothers and sisters just wanted to get some opinions on car fire safety.
We have all been taught that the safe way to attack a car fire is approach at a 45 degree angle hitting the surrounding area first and than to cool down the vehicle itself before approaching and extinguishing the blaze. Right? This allows things like gas shocks, tires, shock absorbing bumpers, ect to cool off a bit before our approach to make things overall safer. Agreed???
However recently my guys have been told the new way to do an initial attack on a vehicle fire is to attach a foam tube to the nozzle and attack the vehicle with 0.3 to 0.5 class A, air aspirated foam. (not CAFS)
In my opinion, because of the limited range of a foam tube, this puts my guy’s way to close to a fully involved vehicle before it’s properly cooled down. It also takes away the ability to go to full fog for protection and back out.
What do you all think? Looking for some opinions from some senior members.
Stay Safe
Ladderup
Old 06-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Be Safe Out There !!

Exclamation Vehicles Fires

I was always taught that to use two attack teams, one approaching from the front at a 45 degree angle to the vehicle, and one approaching from the rear, also at a 45 degree angle.

Depending on location, the team at the rear cooled the back side of the vehicle, including under the vehicle to keep the drive shaft from heating up. The team the front came in and attacked the fire. Both teams are located out of the hazard zone, where bumpers, shocks, struts, etc can launch. Start with the "reach of stream" and work your way in as the fire is knocked down.

All will depend on accessibilty. Depending on the location of the vehicle, it may not be approachable from the 45 degree angles, so the attack formations would have to be adapted accordingly, ensuring fire fighter safety. I've seen too many videos, where fire fighters were in harms way by being right in front of the vehicle, or right behind the vehicle, while it was burning.

If the fire is under the hood, and contained within, approach from the side and use a halligan or pry bar to gain/make an access hole, or if available, a piercing nozzle works well too.

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Old 06-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Senior's Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTPVFD
I've seen too many videos, where fire fighters were in harms way by being right in front of the vehicle, or right behind the vehicle, while it was burning.
Don't forget that full PPE including SCBA is a must, there are some great videos around showing magnesium reacting to water and exploding, make sure your skin is fully covered, including flash hood.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:28 PM
El Hacienda Engine Co.

How many thousands of gallons/tanker loads does it take when you're using TWO attack teams reaching from a distance with straight streams? If your water supply is limited, your foam approach will certainly help stretch that out. I'm more of a fan of a fast moving fog pattern directly inside the compartment than using the foam tube though. And like irsqyu said, FULL PPE for a car fire.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Be Safe Out There !!

Arrow Vehicle Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacienda216 View Post
How many thousands of gallons/tanker loads does it take when you're using TWO attack teams reaching from a distance with straight streams?
We can do it with one tank of water if required. If possible we start with a reach of stream, then move in on the vehicle as we are knocking the fire down. I say "if possible" because some locations do not permit this approach. The first line is the "attack" line, while the backup line is a "safety" line keeping things that might go boom cool ie: drive shaft if fire is impinging on it.

And I totally agree - full PPE. Hope this clarifies.

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Old 06-16-2010, 10:36 AM

If you’re going to use class A foam inducted then you should really use a foam inductor at the pump end of the line so it can be dipped into the foam tank/ pail. 3% or 5% as you wish and as long as your using a fog nozzle you will get pretty good foam for your application. But for a car fire I would save the foam unless your applying class B type foam on a fuel fire. Lots of water and a good reach of stream can get things started so an effective seat off the fire attack can be accomplished..
Old 06-19-2010, 12:55 PM

i have been to quite a number of car fires and seen the difference class A foam makes. we all know that foam enhances the effectiveness of water so why not use it. a simple .3 or .5 class A foam solution works like a charm, especially on car fires. my 2 cents.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM

I've been doing some research on this topic aswell (Thats how I found this old post) Anyway, www.midsouthrescue.org have 4 powerpoint presentations about vehicle fire safety and techniques, well worth checking out. If anyones looks at them let me know what you think. Agree or Disagree? I found them very interesting
Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 AM

Training Standard here in MB as far as I know is still a 45 degree approach with a single water stream.

Our Standard Operating Guideline is 45 degree Class-A Compressed Air Foam (probably moving to All-Purpose foam next year) with a water backup line. This is primarily due to our experience with CAFS and the limited water supply in our area (primarily Rural, little or no Hydrant access, and the Hydrants available don't have much flow (~200GPM max).
Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 AM
say no to CREST

Default Car fires

You had better be able to put out a car fire with less than a tank of water.

Otherwise,your training officer should get the boot!