Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Recruitment > Recruitment & Career Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 AM

Thumbs up What to wear to the Firefighter Aptitude Test

I'm in my first fire recruitment and have an aptitude test coming up next month. I know that for the interview phase suits are pretty much mandatory, but what about the testing? I know its not required, but I also dont want to be the only chump not wearing one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Ride backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob View Post
I'm in my first fire recruitment and have an aptitude test coming up next month. I know that for the interview phase suits are pretty much mandatory, but what about the testing? I know its not required, but I also dont want to be the only chump not wearing one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I would suggest business casual. A collared shirt and a pair of khakis is what I've worn in the past. You never really know who watching you at these recruitments, especially the smaller ones. I think wearing a suit is overkill, but you don't want to look like a bum either (e.i. don't wear a hat and shave).
Old 01-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Default agreed

You want to look like you are a serious person and you take this seriously but the suit will make you look desperate. Just don't be one of those dbags who wears everything fire related they can find.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:07 AM
RIP Capt. Botkin

Default To be a professional, you should look professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_lag View Post
I would suggest business casual. A collared shirt and a pair of khakis is what I've worn in the past. You never really know who watching you at these recruitments, especially the smaller ones. I think wearing a suit is overkill, but you don't want to look like a bum either (e.i. don't wear a hat and shave).
I think business casual is the absolute minimum. Shirt, Tie, Khakis and a sports jacket (the dress one...not a Maple Leafs one :P ) would be my suggestion. You want to look like you want a career and are professional enough to deserve it!
Chiefs have been known to come in and watch testing to get an impression on the new possibilities. Do you want to be the guy under-dressed? You can always take off a sports coat, but you can't fabricate one out of thin air.

Best of luck,

North of 60

PS. And PLEASE...Don't wear runners with your classy looking outfit or white socks with your black pants...it just looks tacky and you will look like you are just dressing up for the first time.

DFCSmash - "THAT, North_of_60, is the best damned response yet to this thread."

Last edited by North_of_60 : 01-20-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: adding a PS
Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
FTCB

When you go try and be a neat as possible,personally I would forego a tie and coat but would reccommend a shirt with buttons either a golf shirt or smart casual,casual shoes/boots rather than running shoes.it is true that you could very well be under scrutiny by senior officers if you dress as i described you will blend in and be comfortable.Its the whackers that think FD shirts or even better uniforms are the key to being hired and for chrisakes do not bring your pager into the test or squelch it in line.What are going to do respond from say TO to that barn fire in eastern fanbelt Twp?

Another thing that I cant believe I have witnessed in the last couple of recruitments I have wrote for.....the HR person or Fire dept representive have to actually tell the crowd to remove their hats.Just dont wear one!

dentedhead
Old 01-20-2011, 01:58 PM

I'm with dented, a nice clean pair of jeans, button up shirt (or simply a smart looking shirt - could be a long sleeve sweater, whatever) and boots is my 'uniform'. No runners, sneakers, t-shirts etc. I personally think a tie is a bit overkill, nevermind a suit.

Keep in mind these tests can be fairly stressful due to the importance we place on them, so you also want to keep comfort in mind.

As others mentioned, shave and don't wear a hat.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:03 PM

I would say wear something casual but presentable. I agree with the post above saying wear a polo or a button up shirt if that is what you're comfortable in. Nothing at the aptitude test matters more than your test score. I wouldn't personally wear a tie, because it would distract me.

I think you want to blend in at the aptitude test, not stand out. For that reason I've never worn a full suit, on the other extreme I've never worn jeans and a t-shirt with dirty sneakers.

At the interview I wore black pants, a blue shirt and black tie. I don't feel comfortable in suits, it's not my style. Nothing looks worse than a guy who obviously never wears a suit and buys a junk one from Moores. The main thing at an interview is your answers, be comfortable.

PS: Don't wear a hat, look at the job you're applying for. Those doing any scrutinizing grew up in an era where you just didn't wear hats indoors. It's seen as a matter of respect for the establishment you're in.

Last edited by kpmoloney : 01-20-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 AM

Tonnes of good advice which seems to be generally consistent, as per usual I share a pretty strong agreement with DH, that is the route I usually went. One of the things that seemed to be a dying practice towards the end of my test writing days was the presence of a D/C or P/C meeting and addressing the group(Not saying it doesn't still happen, just seemed to happen more when i first started applying). But quite often those same people are the ones who may be conducting the interviews, so like it was previously stated, if they have to tell YOU to remove your hat, toque or gangster rag that may not be the way you want them to remember you. Dress smart, take the opportunity to shake their hand and you are on the right path.

"Are we moving too far ahead, or are you falling too far behind"
Roree403
Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the great advice fellas
Old 01-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Resident trouble maker

Please wear your FD hat, your FD jacket, your FD sweater, your FD jogging pants, your FD underroos and some sneakers.
Drive to the testing place with a marked FD unit.

And while in line or waiting to get in, talk loudly about your qualifications, talk about how you hate such and such, or how close you were to getting hired at XYZ.

One thing being on this side of the fence, is HR and associates love to blend into a crowd and listen intently to your conversations.