Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Firefighting & Rescue > Industrial Firefighting
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Default Oilfield Firefighting Camp Work Suncor Firebag

Anyone have any experience specifically with Suncor at the Firebag site?? They have a job posting 7 on 7 off, 12 hr days on call nights. My question is are you paid for your on call time or only when you are working??
Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 PM

You only get paid for when u get called out. pay is 2 hr min at double time.
no pay for travel inc.
no signing bonus
no extra pay if you are an ALS provider ie u get paid same as EMT
all members rotate through the first aid clinic as no nurses on site
base pay is about 70k yr. ( roughly 37$/hr) bonuses are available but cant be relied upon
benefits inc medical dental etc. middle of the road coverage
pension is below average
forced OT
usually 5 man crew for whole site including one guy to cover airport which is 20 minutes from the hall.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 AM

I heard that too.
I was told that suncor will fly out of edmonton, calgary or saskatoon i believe. My friend just left suncor and said 7 on 7 off was good but being on call for the 7 consecutive nights really drained you. Training is supposed to be top notch though. Again, my buddy said that they try and train everyone to technician status in areas like ropes/haz mat/confined space but they are so busy doing first aid/ems and a fair amount on non fire related duties like work permits that they cant keep up their skills. Pay is supposed to be kinda middle of the road for oil sands works. I'm told other depts like at CNRL and Albian pay more but I cant confirm.
suncor tends to have a high turnover of firefighters and is having a tough time hiring or keeping medics since they dont consider ALS skills worth the extra pay.

PM me if you have any questions and i can bounce them off my buddy and get back to ya.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Hi Ted,

I am a Paramedic coming up to do the physical, can you tell me what that entails.
As well are you currently a member with the department? The reason I ask, is that
an AHS Paramedic is at 40 per hour at year 9, with shift differentials as high as 8.25 an hour.

If that really is the wages, then I might have to talk to my recruiter before coming up for the interview or physical. It just might not be worth it. Love to chat with you in person, if you are a member as it would be nice to get the scoop before I sign on the dotted line.

Thanks in advance