Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > The Lounge > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 PM
RIP DFCSmash

Thumbs down Am I missing something?

Is It just me or are the new threads just plain stupid? I feel that I'm owed my time back for having read some of them.

Can anyone tell me the merits of some of this stuff?

http://www.firehall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25070
http://www.firehall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25069
http://www.firehall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25068

Clearly this place is getting rediculous... if anyone wants to talk about something of value please feel free to share, otherwise There's always facebook (And yes I actually network with people on here that have something important to talk about)

Vent done... Have a nice day
Old 10-25-2011, 03:27 AM

Wink

[quote=FLASHOVER05;188362]Is It just me or are the new threads just plain stupid? I feel that I'm owed my time back for having read some of them.

This place is for sure, I know of a guy that got banned for no reason because of a ex fired Chief is a big suck and can't handle reality, and has too much time on his hands during un-employment. The sad thing is whoever he talked to here at Firehall actually listened to the old crazy guy. This place has lost credibility when they start listening to people like him.

Last edited by fyredup : 10-25-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHOVER05 View Post
Is It just me or are the new threads just plain stupid? I feel that I'm owed my time back for having read some of them.

http://www.firehall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25070
http://www.firehall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25069
http://www.firehall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25068

Clearly this place is getting rediculous... if anyone wants to talk about something of value please feel free to share, otherwise There's always facebook (And yes I actually network with people on here that have something important to talk about)

Vent done... Have a nice day
Why not just stay away from the general chat, and hiring threads? I agree it's ridiculous, I dont even bother looking at the hiring threads save yourself some time. There is still good conversations taking place here. Check out the firefighting thread, Rescue78 has done an excellent job of starting topics on ladder height, entering windows, and most recently reading smoke. PFD023 has also recently posted great info but yet it seems very few people are responding to them, it seems people are quick to complain that there isnt anything good to talk about, but yet know one wants to talk about anything good. I would love to be involved some of those great discussions and put forth my wealth of knowledge, unfortunately, I'm still learning, so my knowledge isn't too wealthy. I think if everyone could put as much effort into ignoring the stupid stuff on here, change their focus to real topics this site could be what it was in the "good old days", whatever that was like..
Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 AM
TRUST NO ONE

Yes it seems to have turned to a strictly hiring forum , therefore, mostly wanabe's who are unable to do the tech talk.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmedic87 View Post
Why not just stay away from the general chat, and hiring threads? I agree it's ridiculous, I dont even bother looking at the hiring threads save yourself some time. There is still good conversations taking place here. Check out the firefighting thread, Rescue78 has done an excellent job of starting topics on ladder height, entering windows, and most recently reading smoke. PFD023 has also recently posted great info but yet it seems very few people are responding to them, it seems people are quick to complain that there isnt anything good to talk about, but yet know one wants to talk about anything good. I would love to be involved some of those great discussions and put forth my wealth of knowledge, unfortunately, I'm still learning, so my knowledge isn't too wealthy. I think if everyone could put as much effort into ignoring the stupid stuff on here, change their focus to real topics this site could be what it was in the "good old days", whatever that was like..
The "good old days" this site was a great place to visit.Everyone new each other and about each other either through PM or chat we actually cared about each other and what was happening in our lives.Many of us have sat down and have a couple of beers together.

Thre was good and meaningful debate about everything,FF, politics, opinions and for fun topics.Nobody got to deep into the flaming.There were plenty of non firefighters who also contributed.The hiring sections were always there but it was ??FD is hiring without the 200 questions about do you need DZ FA pre service blah blah blah or the I heard that.I can think of at least 15 or 20 of the former "wannabes" wh got hired.If you dint like what someone said....you told them and ther was no tantrums or pissing matches you just got on with it.There were plenty who dint get along but they at least stayed away from namecalling etc.

Dentedhead
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 AM

I agree completely.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Be Safe Out There !!

Talking Good Old Days ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedhead View Post
The "good old days" this site was a great place to visit.Everyone new each other and about each other either through PM or chat we actually cared about each other and what was happening in our lives.Many of us have sat down and have a couple of beers together.

Thre was good and meaningful debate about everything,FF, politics, opinions and for fun topics.Nobody got to deep into the flaming.There were plenty of non firefighters who also contributed.The hiring sections were always there but it was ??FD is hiring without the 200 questions about do you need DZ FA pre service blah blah blah or the I heard that.I can think of at least 15 or 20 of the former "wannabes" wh got hired.If you dint like what someone said....you told them and ther was no tantrums or pissing matches you just got on with it.There were plenty who dint get along but they at least stayed away from namecalling etc.

Dentedhead
I think we can still have the "good old days". There are still enough of us around that can make meaningful contributions, and ensure healthy discussion and debate on a myriad of fire fighting and other topics.

As has been suggested, don't read the threads you are not interested in, ie: hiring. I, too, have to shake my head at some of the "general chat" threads that have been posted recently I actually sometimes wonder if they still teach grammar and spelling in school.

If we don't agree with something that has been said, no need to flame the person. Perhaps a well worded PM to let the person know you don't agree. Flaming them may just invite others to participate in the flaming.

I can say that over the years I have personally met a number of Firehall members, and have corresponded with several more via PM. All have been great, and have been of assistance when required, ie: IRSQYU was a big help with some of my fire officer assignments related to pump operations.

Just my opinion, but I still enjoy this site, and the exchange of valuable information that takes place.

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 AM
TRUST NO ONE

Look at the numnber of views of this thread or Rescue78's "tech" threads for example and compare them to the hiring threads.

Sigh.......'nuff said.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:26 PM
smoke 'cough ugh' eater

I want to know where the moderators are around here???? Its like a post-apocolyptic forum, with no rules or law! You never see anything from the so called mods, if they were around stuff like the examples posted would have been gone when they were posted!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotahobby View Post
I want to know where the moderators are around here???? Its like a post-apocolyptic forum, with no rules or law! You never see anything from the so called mods, if they were around stuff like the examples posted would have been gone when they were posted!
Let me premise this by saying "I might be WRONG.....but" (cya) this website (forum is only part of it) is a BUSINESS.....more the merrier. I'm kinda guessing here but I think that some of us guys already on the job really are here more for amusement than anything else (in the eyes of certain entrepreneurs). We bring business IN......we keep the hope alive....albeit so frickin slim for some in here (inside voice).
The more folks you have participating (lack of better word) in the forum section the bigger market you have for some of your other PRODUCTS......"helping" others with resumes...interviews.....trade shows.....selling books/mags....web hosting.....selling ad space...etc etc.
It's probably a fine line between moderating to the point where your membership goes down and the point where the discussion is completely pointless to all involved. Let the masses govern themselves (to a certain extent) is probably the philosophy here.....up to the point where hits/membership start to be negatively affected (an "e" or an "a" for that word?).
Ya the site has become a "who's hiring" kinda thingy.......too bad cause there is a crapload of knowledge (Volunteer and Career) on here....it just seems to have taken a back seat to the main busiess at hand.....getting on full time.

So the only words of encouragement I can offer (if ya want it) to those who's main interest isn't "who's hiring" is from 2 of the dudes I spend the most time with at work lately......

"What the hell's this?" asks Jesse looking at the hat Walt hands him.
Walt says, "It's all they had."
"Then you go to another store. If this is all they had, you're in the wrong place!"

not meant to be preachy.....I'll blame it on the waterloo amber

Last edited by PFD023 : 10-26-2011 at 02:21 PM.