Go Back   The Firehall.com Forum > Recruitment > Recruitment & Career Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Zokambaa

Default Drivers licensing (class 3/4/air etc...)

Once I complete the CPAT and when I am accepted for recruit training I will need to have picked up my class 3/4 w/air brake license.. for the Calgary hiring requirements, I am thinking of trying to get this out of the way now... Does anyone know of any good (and hopefully inexpensive)places to get the driver training in Calgary??

Last edited by Zokambaa : 08-22-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Life Long Learner

Default Good thinking

Try the school bus company training programs. A class 2 there was cheap in the past, then find a "Q" class somewhere. Best not to wait too long that you can't find a course or room in a class because of short notice. The world will not wait until you are ready nor will the department because other candidates are fully certified.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Retired Member

In Calgary, CCA Truck driving school for the airbrake "Q" endorsement, and Crosscity Driver Training for the Class 2 license. Class 2 is easier and cheaper to get than class 3/4, and it covers these classes, so it's a better value for your money and time.

AB
Old 08-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Zokambaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABFF37
In Calgary, CCA Truck driving school for the airbrake "Q" endorsement, and Crosscity Driver Training for the Class 2 license. Class 2 is easier and cheaper to get than class 3/4, and it covers these classes, so it's a better value for your money and time.

AB

I was thinking of doing just that.. it seems to be more worthwhile to get the class 2 rather than do 2 courses.. plus it would mean only 1 driving test VS 2...

If I had the time I'd look into getting a part time job as a southland bus driver.. they seem to pay for most of the training and testing costs once they hire you... but it would be kind of crappy to get the job and screw them over by quitting once you get the training out of the way.

The biggest thing I've ever driven was one of those moving cube-vans and that was just an extended 1-tonn pickup frame with the usual pick-up truck 4 speed transmission...
Old 08-23-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Drivers License

Consider going out to High River or an outlying town to get it as it is ususlly quicker and less stressful than having to take it in downtown Calgary when all the crazies are out. I have heard the one in High River is quite good.