Old 06-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Happy being a worker bee!

Send a message via MSN to firefighter26
Default medical scenarios

I am going to try something a little different.

Below are three medical scenarios that as first responders we may be called to. Read the scenario and respond how you would handle this situation.

General rules:
- You have whatever equipment available to you that you would normally have for a medical call.
- You have 2 other firefighters/responders with the same level of training, but you are the "lead" on this call.
- List suspected injuries and why, as well as how you would treat them before ambulance arrives.
- In all cases, ambulance is 10 minutes away.

Lets see how this works before I make up any more.

Scenario #1
--------------------------------------
You receive a call from dispatch to respond to 661 Becknal Avenue. Neighbours at that location have called in an unknown medical problem.

Arriving on scene you find a male PT in the front yard slouching at a picnic table. When you get out of your unit the male gets up and stumbles around.

You notice a late model ford pick up parked in the driveway haphazardly with the door open.

The male in the front yard does not respond coherently to you and stumbles round the yard before passing out.

A crowd of neighbours has started to gather on the road.

Go!

Scenario #2
You are dispatched to the a little league ball park not to far from the station. Arriving on scene you notice a crowd forming in the outfield.

As you approach the crowd you notice a young female ball player laying 3/4 prone. Bystanders have placed a jacket under her head and are trying to comfort her.

The female PT is unresponsive and you notice that her skin is warm and flushed and some blueness is started to form around her mouth.

Go!

Scenario #3
You are dispatched to an industrial area to a report of a worker at a construction site falling.

You arrive on scene and see a working laying 3/4 prone on the ground amongst some un-finished concrete work, complete with protruding re-bar. 15 feet above is scafolding and there are broken boards near the PT.

The PT is unresponsive to verbal and you notice that a pool of blood is starting to show through the PTs jacket.

Go!

"If you don't like what you see, Why don't you fight it?
If you know there's something wrong, Why don't you right it?"
- Trooper
Old 06-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Blondie Firefighter

Send a message via MSN to FFChick
Default Scenario #3

Well, I am not a First Responder and only know a little about what they do, but I'll give it a try.

When we arrive and get on scene, first we check to make sure that the scene is safe, which it is because there is no over-hanging debris, so we proceed to the Patient. We see he is unresponcive with no pulse and there is blood showing on his jacket. We cut the clothing off and if the injery is on his arm then a First Responder lifts it very carfully to get it above the heart and aplied presure. If the cut is on his body, they also apy presure. As this is happening, we start CPR. If there is a chance of his neck broken we get a personal to hold the head steady and back. About 7 minutes of starting CPR the paramedics arrive.

In a scenario like this, this is what I would basicly do. With First-Aid but no actual First Responce training, I don't know what they would do in detail but I tried my best.

Cheers, FFChick
Old 06-30-2006, 04:41 PM
FTCB

Scene safety and all that school BS are implied OK!

#1-Either ETOH or more likely a diabetic emergency.

ABCS always, GCS try and illict a further Hx.If suspected diabetic try to give pt sugar/glucopaste (if available) in bucchal cavity SLOWLY no juices or liquids if pt is U/C.

O2 NRB@12L/min monitor vitals Q5 and report any changes.

While waiting for EMS carry on with a secondary assesment and rule out any traumatic etiologies such as a head injury.Keep Pt at rest and blanketed.

2- possible anaphylaxis illicit HX as best you can try to find sting site if indeed anyphylaxis.

ABCS GCS give pt 02via NRB@12L/min be prepared to initiate ventilations if required.If pt has epipen assist (wink wink) with admin.Secondary assessment further Hx taking.

3- Fall with possible impalement/traumatic chest injury.

ABCS GCS O2via NRB@12L/min.initiate C-spine Immobilization and size up for any extrication that may be required.If the impaled object is free stabilize it with whatever works.

Sorry if I cant get as detailed as you would lik 26 but these are all scoop and run situations.Also I became a FF so I wouldnt have to think about this stuffLOL.

Dentedhead
Old 06-30-2006, 05:00 PM

Dent.. You are too qualified for this question.. No DOCTORS allowed!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 05:01 PM

Its all good DH. I thought that some of my scenarios might be a bit long, so that is why I decided to keep these ones short.

Just a quick question though, as I am just a lowely First Responder, why did you in scenario 2 jump right to anaphylaxis? Don't get me wrong, that could very well be the MoI, but to be honest, I didn't even think of that when I wrote the scenario!

- Trooper
Old 06-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Spaghetti again?????

Cool

Ask over and over if the O2 is helping and wait for BCAS......................BC...............
Old 06-30-2006, 05:53 PM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter26
Its all good DH. I thought that some of my scenarios might be a bit long, so that is why I decided to keep these ones short.

Just a quick question though, as I am just a lowely First Responder, why did you in scenario 2 jump right to anaphylaxis? Don't get me wrong, that could very well be the MoI, but to be honest, I didn't even think of that when I wrote the scenario!
The S/S and the fact it was in an outdoor area.Maybe a bit presumptuous on my part.The cyanosis could have been caused when a bystander left the pt w/o a patent airway when they tried to make them comfy, maybe say an off duty nurse.

Iam still learning the fire game so your scenarios are for my head only(as cluttered as it is) but im pretty comfy with my medical stuff.Not always right but comfy with itLOL.

Dentedhead

Dentedhead
Old 06-30-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedhead
when a bystander left the pt w/o a patent airway when they tried to make them comfy, maybe say an off duty nurse.
Yeah, they can be a pain when they think they know what they are doing.

I am still learning the medial stuff too, though I am pretty comfortable with my skills and abilities at my current level (time to move onto the next one I guess!)

So, give us a run down of the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis vs the combo dehydration/heatstroke.

- Trooper
Old 06-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Just one more bucket.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestcoast
Ask over and over if the O2 is helping and wait for BCAS......................BC...............

LOL............And then make sure we fill out the fancy new forms!

Last edited by BCFFFV : 06-30-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Spaghetti again?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestcoast
PS. Hate medicals...I know i know way of the future BS. But downtown first Aid sucks. Foot first aid at its finest..........whatever they want, paid every 2...............BC................