Old 08-29-2006, 08:40 AM

Default DZ license in Ontario

I was wondering if people could suggest the best route to go to get a DZ license in Ontario (I am in London). Cost is a bit of a concern and I have no idea how much the truck driving schools are...

I did volunteer firefighting in the US (though I am a Canadian - and proud of it :-), moved back up here for job, but am finding I am really missing the firefighting and am thinking about starting to apply for career FF.

I suppose one other question, would you suggest going for DZ (minimum requirement) or getting the AZ if it is not that much more time and money.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Umuntu Ngumuntu ngabantu

Quote:
Originally Posted by brechmos
I was wondering if people could suggest the best route to go to get a DZ license in Ontario (I am in London). Cost is a bit of a concern and I have no idea how much the truck driving schools are...

I did volunteer firefighting in the US (though I am a Canadian - and proud of it :-), moved back up here for job, but am finding I am really missing the firefighting and am thinking about starting to apply for career FF.

I suppose one other question, would you suggest going for DZ (minimum requirement) or getting the AZ if it is not that much more time and money.

Thanks for any thoughts!
AZ means annual medicals & testing and the costs associated with it.....unless you plan on using it - I'd stick with the DZ

As for getting your license - go get your Z through a community college - they run the course there and most have signing authority to issue the licenses. Around Ottawa it's in the $175-250 range.

Then get a Rental truck and do your driving portion after that. The amount of money that trucking schools charge for the license is theivery.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:33 AM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brechmos

Thanks for any thoughts!
The absolute cheapest way I would guess is to buy the D handbook,Z handbook and just go and challenge it.I cant recall if you can just walk in and write the test for Z endorsement or if you have to take a course.if so check local night school courses or at Fanshawe for a weekender.

I know you can still just rent or borrow an appropriate straight truck and do your road test and of course the written portion.

Dentedhead
Old 08-29-2006, 09:41 AM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba
AZ means annual medicals & testing and the costs associated with it.....unless you plan on using it - I'd stick with the DZ

As for getting your license - go get your Z through a community college - they run the course there and most have signing authority to issue the licenses. Around Ottawa it's in the $175-250 range.

Then get a Rental truck and do your driving portion after that. The amount of money that trucking schools charge for the license is theivery.

Medicals are only required yearly after you turn 65.Its 3-5 years for other ages. Written tests are only required every 5 years on licence renewal.

BTW an AZ course at Humber college in TO last I checked was $6500, DZ was half that.

Dentedhead
Old 08-29-2006, 12:10 PM

Recently got my license thru Truck Driver Training. I think the cost was around $700 for a one day in class course and 12 hours of truck time. For the money it was well worth it...great instructors who will help you pass the practical and you get to use their truck. If you do the math the cost of the test, rental of truck etc. and you blow it and have to do it all over again. The cost to me made it worthwile.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to fireman-911 Send a message via Skype™ to fireman-911

Just cause I'm curious, and don't live in Ont, what is the DZ or AZ liscence? I'm guessing taddem axle?

In my case, I have a 3/4 a/e liscence....

3 - taddem axle vehicle (our ladder truck)
4 - ambulance (also taxi & bus upto 25 passenger)
A - Motorcycle (550cc's & up)
E - Air Brake Endorcement

Oh and I also have an corrective lenses restriction.

what's nice is that the class 3 is the highest that I'll ever need; however, it does require medicals - only upon renewal though... so every 4yrs.

Also, forgot to add that I borrowed my FD's truck to do the road test and the ambulance, I borrowed a local ambulance services back-up truck to do the test! Could be something to look into.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:36 PM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman-911
Just cause I'm curious, and don't live in Ont, what is the DZ or AZ liscence? I'm guessing taddem axle?

In my case, I have a 3/4 a/e liscence....

3 - taddem axle vehicle (our ladder truck)
4 - ambulance (also taxi & bus upto 25 passenger)
A - Motorcycle (550cc's & up)
E - Air Brake Endorcement

Oh and I also have an corrective lenses restriction.

what's nice is that the class 3 is the highest that I'll ever need; however, it does require medicals - only upon renewal though... so every 4yrs.

Also, forgot to add that I borrowed my FD's truck to do the road test and the ambulance, I borrowed a local ambulance services back-up truck to do the test! Could be something to look into.
Ther is a thread somewhere in here with the licence classes explained across the country,couldnt find it for you.

In Ontario it has nothing to do with axles but weight and combined weight.The Z is just an air endorsement.

Dentedhead
Old 08-29-2006, 01:42 PM

kewl! makes sense! Thx!
Old 08-29-2006, 01:49 PM
FTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman-911
kewl! makes sense! Thx!

This should help

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...er/classes.htm

Dentedhead
Old 08-29-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedhead
WoW - that looks complicated! We have a simple class 1 to class 7 (no 6). And the other thing that I find wierd is that 1 licence doesn't cover all classes.... huh! different province - different rules