Spare Apparatus

Advancements, reviews, maintenance questions, discuss anything apparatus related...
3rdGen

Postby 3rdGen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:31 pm

Letter for type of rig, first number for station, second number for spare status

E1 is first engine out of sation 1
E11 is spare or second out engine at station 1
if there was a third engine it would be E12
E2 is first out of 2 hall
E21 is spare at station 2
L =Ladder
T tender
B batallion
R rescue
etc
L1 first ladder at station 1
"You can't be wrong for doing the right thing"

Medic9107

Postby Medic9107 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:36 pm

In Edmonton, we have 27 (28 soon) Stations with quite a few spare and backup rigs of each role. Units are just numbered after their respective stations (Pump 1, Rescue 4, Ladder 5, etc).

On the occasion that there's a "BIG" fire there is a backup Ladder, Pump, and Rescue put into service each Labelled "Unit" 99. As for spare units, most stations will have a spare/older unit parked in their garage out of service. This offers spare units of each role as needed throughout the city.

ImMe

Postby ImMe » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:43 pm

The department I work at has many decommissioned trucks as spares. Since they bought a ton of Spartans in 2010, they now have a bunch of E1's as spares, which is nice. Although, Im starting to see 2003(? maybe theyre 2006, I cant remember now) Spartans as spares now. Whenever a truck needs to go in for service, we just drive the apparatus to the shop and swap all our gear to the spare apparatus. They are trying to fully equip all spares with most of the tools. On the side of the truck, it says 'Sp' instead of the station number.

......Reading over the thread closer, I think I confused what you meant as Extra apparatus. Some stations here have 2 Engines, such as a busy downtown station and a busy East end station, and they alternate calls. If a call comes in where they are both dispatched, like a fire, the primary engine takes the lead (Ex: Station 12 has Engine 12 and Engine 46)
Last edited by ImMe on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LTES40

Postby LTES40 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:31 pm

We have just changed our vehicle numbers to go with the mutual aid. We now have a 4 digit number on our vehicles. The first is the type of apparatus S=Squad (Rescue), R=Rescue (Heavy), P= Pumper, T=Tanker. The second is the municipality 9=Loyalist Twp.
The third is the station 1=Odessa, 2=Amherst Island, 3=Bath, 4=Amherstview. Forth is the number 1 or 2. P931=Pumper 1 Loyalist Twp. Bath Station P932is the second run pumper.