Atv's

Advancements, reviews, maintenance questions, discuss anything apparatus related...
fire16

Atv's

Postby fire16 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:56 pm

Mostly for all the rural people. What kind, if any. do you all use for an ATV. We just purchased a 2005 Polaris Ranger with the 700cc fuel injected engine, hard roof, front and rear windshields, winch, & soft,removable doors. Then we had a shop build a removable alum. widget that we can secure a spine board to. It fits to the rear box. Hope to use this unit to haul wildfire gear around, get into the places where quads and skidoos always seem to have their problems etc. will show a pic another time, not on right 'puter now. :o
[sigpic][/sigpic]

It's Been A Blast
Not A Job

Roadwarrior

Postby Roadwarrior » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:13 am

Even though we have a big rural area, if it's back that far, I'd say call in Search and Rescue..they have those big yellow birds and trained SAR tech's that can go anywhere. If it's firefighting, MNR has fire crews and water bombers.....why knock yourself out over some bush.
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

Scuba

Postby Scuba » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:56 am

I'm with RW.... although one of our rural halls does have a skidoo, but they have a huge distance of trails running through their area......

fire16

atv

Postby fire16 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:42 pm

closest SAR (with big yellow bird) about 1400 km away. ( assuming you are referring to military) (think its Winnipeg or perhaps Trenton). For the fire aspect, unit used to haul small amts of equipt around in the wildland interface scenario. We do work hand to hand with the forest service re wildland fires. They can call us & we can call them. The ATV just lets us have that extra extension to the patient when real road access runs out. Just thought lots of you might have some type of off road unit - & wondering what it was.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

It's Been A Blast
Not A Job

North_of_60

Postby North_of_60 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:41 pm

In Inuvik, we have a Polaris Ranger with a winch and snow blade on it. The Fire Dept had one extra wide track snowmobile with a medical toboggan. It is painted FD colours and has a red rotating emergency light. The Chief also has several snowmobiles that can be used too. Many of the firefighters also have snowmobiles that are occasionally called into service. We have several incidents each year that require snowmobiles to reach the scene. A lot of our winter rescues are on the river or on one of the lakes around town.
Yellowknife has some really nice snowmobiles that they share with the Municipal Enforcement Officers. They have LED flashing lights and a nice little pack on the rear seat.
They drop the ball....We get the call

DFCSmash - "THAT, North_of_60, is the best damned response yet to this thread."

mfdff10

Postby mfdff10 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:29 am

i believe it is a 2000 honda foreman... don't use it that often though...
Your doing it wrong.....

Courage comes from a reserve of mind far greater then the outside circumstances!

iamvff

Postby iamvff » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:20 am

On this same note...does anyone have an ATV setup of any nature for grass and/or field fires?? I have always thought that an ATV with a spray tank on the back, and a boom, would be the cat's a$$!

iamvff
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink...BUT...if you hold it's head under long enough, it has to take a gulp sooner or later!" iamvff - 2010

Scuba

Postby Scuba » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:24 am

iamvff wrote:On this same note...does anyone have an ATV setup of any nature for grass and/or field fires?? I have always thought that an ATV with a spray tank on the back, and a boom, would be the cat's a$$!

iamvff

I saw a setup like that for a department out west........easily had a 10 or 12 foot spray bar on the back of it, and it dragged a pretty good chunk of water in a trailer behind it.........

North_of_60

Postby North_of_60 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:58 pm

I believe that you can get an "ARGO" 8x8 ATV that can be set up for grass fires. They are really neat machines. They are amphibious and have a large tire surface area so that they have a lot of boyancy in marshy terain.
A John Deer "GATOR" could probably be used too without that much modification. Kubota makes another utility type ATV that I was very impressed with when we were looking at a Medical ATV. If memory serves, the Kubota actually had a higher GVW so you could haul more wet stuff for the red stuff.

North of 60

PS: I Niether work for or get any kind of kickback from these companies...just in case anyone wonders :)
They drop the ball....We get the call

DFCSmash - "THAT, North_of_60, is the best damned response yet to this thread."

mutts252

Postby mutts252 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:25 pm

yup we have an ATV in our hall, i believe it's a Yamaha. got lots of shiny stickers that say the FD owns it... lol. we tow it behind our rescue unit on a trailer (drive-on/drive-off kinda deal, very handy). we also have a snowmobile, i think a Polaris, but i'm not sure off the top of my head. we have a rescue sled to hook on the back of the snowmobile, as well (possible a red strobe, too). snowmobile etc. is towed by the rescue, as well.

the ATV is indispensable for us, we have some pretty hairy middle-of-the-woods calls due to the huge number of atv/snowmobile trails in our area. lots of ATV'ers getting lost and hurt and doing other silly things to themselves (like rolling their ATV on themselves... while not wearing helmets... twice... and being on the FD, too... oh boy... he has yet to live that one down :rolleyes: )

same can be said for our snowmobile, the weather can get hairy at times, and there's a lot of calls you simply can't get to without it. SAR birds are mighty far away for some poor guy who just ran his sled into a rock cut...
opinions are like a__holes... everybody has one.

if you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.