Atv's

Advancements, reviews, maintenance questions, discuss anything apparatus related...
OldCigar

Snowmobile

Postby OldCigar » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:59 pm

Welooked at getting one with a sled for medical emergencies. however EMS North, our local ambulance provider, has a regualtions that their ambulance paramedics can only travel with their machine or the OPPs machine period. Also according to them we cannot transport a patient. Wtih one unit for EMS North, and for the OPP,who have over half of the time, 1 man available for patrol in the Thunder Bay District, you can see the problem. We however had excellect service from 797, the medical evac copter. Hope we never have to look after one of these off road emergencies in bad weather.

mutts252

Postby mutts252 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:49 pm

many, *many* times, we have ended up transporting not only the patient, but the paramedics and/or police to and from the scene - especially in our boat. same with the ATV and snowmobile... indispensible tools, IMHO. :)
opinions are like a__holes... everybody has one.

if you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.

PVFD80

Postby PVFD80 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread but there are several Fire Departments in our area using ATV's and now UTV's mostly for responding to wildland fires where trucks can't go. Most apparatus I have come across are simply a regular quad outfitted with a 25 gallon poly sprayer tank and outfitted with a little 2 stroke 1" water pump with a 1/2" garden hose and some kind of nozzle. And believe it or not they work great on small fires and it is often said that one quad with a tank and pump can do the work of ten guys with backpack pumps if not more. One of our neighbouring Fire Departments was using a quad pulling a purpose built trailer with a 75-100 gallon tank but I think they replaced it with a UTV which can carry a little more water despite being a little wider. I've got some pictures but apparently I cant post them until I make more posts.

Halligan71

Atv

Postby Halligan71 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:56 am

Our department runs a diesel Kubota RTV equipped with a 200 gallon poly tank, pump and Camoplast tracks. It can draft to fill and it's also configured to be set up to run as a stationary pump to fill draft tanks, tenders or supply to pumps. It's a great rig and sees a lot of action in wildland season. We also have a trailer to haul gear and people, the trailer is equipped with a spine board and has seen search and rescue duty.

cattlerepairman

Postby cattlerepairman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Our department saw fit to replace our Polaris Ranger 6x6 with a Polaris 4x4 crew side by side.
The former was an awesome off road machine, the latter is great for hauling people and their golf bags from the club house to the tee off.
Although the pay load is practically the same, it is awful as a brush fire UTV. The long wheelbase gets it high-centered easily, it is hard to turn around in tight spots and simply gets stuck too quickly. The training mantra is "If the terrain looks good for an ATV - don't go there!"
Don't buy one.
Get a proper 6x6.

Dford

Postby Dford » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 pm

We recently purchased a John Deere Gator 4 seater. Used it on a GSAR call and put 300km on it. Saved a ton of walking. It is also set up with a 55 gal tank and 2 inch pump with 50ft of hose on a reel. It can draft from a creek or pond as well.