Medical Clearance

Well my wife says I should try water aerobics...
mcfire01

Medical Clearance

Postby mcfire01 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Does anyone know if past tobacco use will cause for me to fail the Medical? So much conflicting information online.

Any help would be appreciated

bigsmoke

Re: Medical Clearance

Postby bigsmoke » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:38 am

In my experience TFS has the most intensive medical exam compared to other municipalities. I am not aware of anyone being denied a medical clearance due to tobacco use.

Obviously if that has morphed into a lung / breathing issue or worse cancer etc. ...........

mcfire01

Postby mcfire01 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:00 pm

Thanks Big Smoke,

I think I was just working myself up there. I have not smoked for over a year and I’m all around perfectly healthy. I was just reading some conflicting information online... I should know better than that!

Thanks again!

WannabFF

Postby WannabFF » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:22 pm

I was wondering about the protein intake or other supplements as it could elevate liver function bloodwork.

Have you heard anyone having issues with their clearance?

bigsmoke

Postby bigsmoke » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:16 pm

You are correct, high protein diets when combined with protein supplements can cause your kidneys to have a higher reading of creatinine (not creatine). Elevated levels of this is an indication of kidney failure.

If you test high for this most often the Doc will request a second test. In TFS that means you likely get a second chance or as has happened in the past may be deferred to a later class.

When you receive an invite for the medical it may tell you to stop taking protein supplements. It's wise to follow that instruction.

WannabFF

Postby WannabFF » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:37 pm

bigsmoke wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:16 pm
You are correct, high protein diets when combined with protein supplements can cause your kidneys to have a higher reading of creatinine (not creatine). Elevated levels of this is an indication of kidney failure.

If you test high for this most often the Doc will request a second test. In TFS that means you likely get a second chance or as has happened in the past may be deferred to a later class.

When you receive an invite for the medical it may tell you to stop taking protein supplements. It's wise to follow that instruction.

Yes I did stop taking protein supplements when I got the medical invite.

Thanks for your help BigSmoke!