Becoming a volunteer firefighter in Toronto, arriving with experience from France

General volunteer firefighting discussion.
MikeFi

Becoming a volunteer firefighter in Toronto, arriving with experience from France

Postby MikeFi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:15 am

Hi ! I am a former volunteer firefighter from France specialized as an Emergency Response Team Responder and I am planning to move to Toronto as part of my end of studies research internship until August, March 2019 or even life if I feel good there. I would like to continue my volunteer firefighter activity in Toronto. I had some concerns :

1. Recruitment seem to be closed according to the website of the Ontario Fire Administration
  2. It doesn't seem there is volunteer recruitment while surfing on the former sessions
  3. I don't think I am legally entitled to work for any employer in Canada yet while looking at the minimum requirements webpage

Can you help me ? I think anyway I only touch the top of the iceberg of administrative issues to get myself recruited as a volunteer ...

OLDAFI

Re: Becoming a volunteer firefighter in Toronto, arriving with experience from France

Postby OLDAFI » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Hey Mikefi,
Hope your time in Toronto goes well, it's a great city. Unfortunately I really don't think you'll be able to volunteer while studying in Toronto... Perhaps you could look into volunteering with some skills training companies if you are an expert at technical rescue or or something like that.

Here's the deal;
There is no opportunity to volunteer in the larger cities in southern Ontario. Larger cities have paid departments, and as a rule do not have volunteers as well.

So if you want to volunteer you need to live in a rural town with a volunteer department... Then you need to wait for a recruitment (which may not come up for a year or more), because volunteer departments also have a lot of people wanting to volunteer, so it's actually a competition to get onto a volunteer department.

Last, volunteer departments pay their staff a minimal wage to attend the training nights and to attend calls. If you can't work in Canada, you will be ineligible to volunteer.

So if you really want to volunteer in the fire service, you'll have to be creative in who to volunteer with while living in Toronto. Maybe some others on this forum have some ideas for you.

Best of luck and enjoy your time in Canada!

hmckay91

Re: Becoming a volunteer firefighter in Toronto, arriving with experience from France

Postby hmckay91 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Not withstanding the previous reply, both Hamilton and Burlington have volunteer firefighter opportunities, so it depends on your big plans for "Toronto".