Horrible cook and about to hit the floor.

Discuss the latest prepared disaster by the chief (oops... or was that 'the chef'?). Success stories welcome as well...
dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:30 pm

While I remember,couple simple cooking tips.

About the only thing that needs to be cooked at high on a firehall stovetop is water.

Dont use metal utensils on non stick pans.

If you dont have a dishwasher in your station make sure you wash dishes properly.It may seem like nitpicking but look at how many ppl will be using the cuttlery, glasses and cups.Coldsores colds etc do get around not to mention the other nasties.

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

ve2vfd

Postby ve2vfd » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:11 pm

Old thread but what the heck...

I'm the cook on my shift. Fortunately I am in a 1 truck station so I only have to cook for 4-5 people. Here are some of my good old stand-by's when I don't feel like getting creative :)

Suppers:
- Burgers on the bbq + fries
- Pork chops (usually marinated overnight in bbq sauce) + rice or baked cauliflower "au gratin"
- Steak and baked potato + sauteed mushrooms
- Cannelone in a meat sauce au gratin + garlic bread
- Stuffed shells au gratin + garlic bread
- Paté chinois (layer of ground beef, layer of corn, layer of mashed potatos, baked)
- Chicken wraps
- Soft shell tacos + tortilla plate
- Fish (usuallt tilapia baked with oranges) + rice
- Hamburger steaks + pepper sauce + mashed potatos
- Stuffed green peppers + scalloped potatos

Lunch:
- Club sandwitch + fries
- Grilled chicken breast ceasar salad (nice light lunch when it's hot!)
- Imitation crab meat salad wraps
- Mini pizzas (built on egyptian pita breads)
- Warm subs (quiznos style)

I serve all my meals with a salad.

I'll usually put raw carrots, celery, broccoli and a dip on the table while I am cooking so the guys don't get too hungry :)

For desert I always offer fruit, yogurts, ice cream and a few bags of cookies... and occasionally I'll bake nice warm cookies.

For "emergencies" (like when we keep getting call after call during a mealtime and ruin whatever I am cooking, or being at a 5 alarm almost all night), I have a reserve of quick easy to make stuff like frozen pizzas and pasta and cans of sauce. Always important to have reserves!

Pat
If electricity comes form electrons, then surely morality comes from...

WillyWildland

Postby WillyWildland » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:07 am

[quote=""ve2vfd""]Old thread but what the heck...

I'm the cook on my shift. Fortunately I am in a 1 truck station so I only have to cook for 4-5 people. Here are some of my good old stand-by's when I don't feel like getting creative :)

Suppers:
- Burgers on the bbq + fries
- Pork chops (usually marinated overnight in bbq sauce) + rice or baked cauliflower "au gratin"
- Steak and baked potato + sauteed mushrooms
- Cannelone in a meat sauce au gratin + garlic bread
- Stuffed shells au gratin + garlic bread
- Paté chinois (layer of ground beef, layer of corn, layer of mashed potatos, baked)
- Chicken wraps
- Soft shell tacos + tortilla plate
- Fish (usuallt tilapia baked with oranges) + rice
- Hamburger steaks + pepper sauce + mashed potatos
- Stuffed green peppers + scalloped potatos

Lunch:
- Club sandwitch + fries
- Grilled chicken breast ceasar salad (nice light lunch when it's hot!)
- Imitation crab meat salad wraps
- Mini pizzas (built on egyptian pita breads)
- Warm subs (quiznos style)

[/quote]

Good stuff Pat...Exactly the info I was hoping for. Going to try the pate' chin for sure.

itsnotahobby

Postby itsnotahobby » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:44 am

I'm a shift cook so here is one that I'll give you, I don't give out my recepies very often so make sure you copy this down!

Bruchetta stuffed chicken breasts

8 chicken breasts butterflied
box of stove top
can diced tomatoes Italian seasoned
shredded mozzarella cheese
sun dried tomatoes and oregano dressing
.5 cup of fresh basil chopped

empty stove top, tomatoes, .5 cup cheese, basil, and about .25 cup of dressing into a bowl and mix well.

lay out the chicken on a cutting board, put a good mound of the filling in the center and wrap the chicken so the mix is completely covered and set in a baking dish (like a lasagna pan). Continue for the rest of the chicken. Top with a good sprinkling of cheese, and add enough dressing to coat the outside of the chicken.

Put in a 350 C oven and cook, probably about 30 -40 minutes.

The crew well love it and you'll get some street cred around the hall.

Some ties for when you are cooking at the hall;

Don't try a new recipe on the guys, believe me its better to try it at home first.
Always make it seem like it was a lot harder to prepare than it really was.
If you have some one on shift who always disappears when its time to pay up, hold his plate infront of him, announce the price for the meal, and shame him into giving you his money for his plate!
If you can help it don't let the guys see things like stove top! Let them think its more complicated than it is. This relates to rule 2.
Risk a lot to save a lot. Risk a little to save a little. Risk nothing to save nothing!
Everyone Goes Home
Firefighters were created so cops could have heroes!

Roadwarrior

Postby Roadwarrior » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:52 am

Hey Pat......no famous Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwiches on the lunch menu ????
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

ve2vfd

Postby ve2vfd » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:43 pm

Roadwarrior ... nah, too expensive for the budget I have to work with! (a good smoked meat brisket to feed 4-5 is bloody expensive!) I am guessing the price is a victim of it's popularity...

But now that you mentionned smoked meat, I'm gonna have to go have some for supper! I haven't been to Schwartz's in ages!

Pat

nocomment

Postby nocomment » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:06 am

4 dollars a guy when I first got on. Sometimes 3. Now it's 6 Bucks. What's the going rate for the feed in your department?

itsnotahobby

Postby itsnotahobby » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:58 pm

Depends what I cook. If anyone complains about price they don't eat next time. usually from low of 3 to 10 for special meals.
Risk a lot to save a lot. Risk a little to save a little. Risk nothing to save nothing!
Everyone Goes Home
Firefighters were created so cops could have heroes!

dirkjaniak

Money, money, money

Postby dirkjaniak » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:02 pm

[quote=""nocomment""]4 dollars a guy when I first got on. Sometimes 3. Now it's 6 Bucks. What's the going rate for the feed in your department?[/quote]

We keep it at 5 Bucks at all fire stations. Sometimes you'll make money (stays in the kitty) and sometimes the kitty picks up the slack.
And if we get a guy in for overtime he pitches in $20 (it's still $5 each for the rest of the crew) and than you can go all out and cook up a feast :-)

Guten Appetit

DJ
Influence Of Tragedy

There Is No Greater Influence Of Change In The Fire Service Than A Line Of Duty Death Of A Firefighter.
Yet, There Is No Greater Tragedy Than That Of A Fallen Firefighter Whose Death Prompted The Passage Of A Safety Policy Which May Have Prevented His Death…..

ve2vfd

Postby ve2vfd » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:48 pm

$7 per shift here... includes breakfast and lunch, or supper and evening snack. Overtime dude traditionally pays $10 or pays his $7 and buys everyone a can of cola.

I usually make enough profit off occasional "cheap meals" and my "convenience store" sales (cola cans, candy bar, mr.freeze or fudgecicles) to go overboard and spend a lot on around 2-3 "fancy meals" like filet mignon or sea food per month.

Pat