Do you cook each shift??

Discuss the latest prepared disaster by the chief (oops... or was that 'the chef'?). Success stories welcome as well...
MattyD

Postby MattyD » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:39 pm

This thread is awesome, just gave it a nice long read - can't wait to put my cooking experience into good use at the hall for my teammates.

Rainmanjb

firehall meals!!

Postby Rainmanjb » Mon May 30, 2011 8:59 pm

I know noone has posted on here for a while but i am sure many guys/girls like myself have got on recently and this is definatley a major part of being the "probie"
Before getting on the job i had worked in a restaurant for 8 years on seperate stretches including kitchen manager at one of them.... so when the boys found out about that for a while i became the cook...... and with a vegetarian captain and a senior man who can not eat mush,oignons and pretty much anything not being a burger or pizza i tell you I had fun for a while..... but now with a few months under my belt and a new acting capt who is a fantastic cook we make due......
And usually dinner is decided in the morning by "whats on sale at a grocery store that is KINDA in our running area!"
Usually runs around $5 for dinner but on a different shift at our hall they cook lunch and dinner that sometimes runs around $20-$25+ !!! luckily i negotiated my meals paid for the day i covered for a friend !!!

Be safe eat LOTS!!!!

itsnotahobby

Postby itsnotahobby » Mon May 30, 2011 9:32 pm

[quote=""Rainmanjb""]

Be safe eat LOTS!!!![/quote]

But never more than your mask can hold!
Risk a lot to save a lot. Risk a little to save a little. Risk nothing to save nothing!
Everyone Goes Home
Firefighters were created so cops could have heroes!

3rdGen

Postby 3rdGen » Tue May 31, 2011 12:51 am

work 2d 2n 4off pattern. always cook breakfast/brunch on the weekend. hit the store and all pitch in. Nights we rotate, when your up you buy the food and cook (help optional if needed).

Weekday lunchs we hit the store if needed, but most guys brown bag it.

Belmont43

Jr Man or Probie

Postby Belmont43 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:52 pm

At our Dept. we work the 10h Day 14h Night split shift. (4 Days, 6 Off, 4 Nights, 4 Off, 3 Days 3 Night Split, 4 off then start the rotation all over again) On our 3 Day 3 Night split, on the First day which is always a Friday, the Jr. man or Probie at each hall goes grocery shopping for the whole crew at that hall he is at. He picks up all food for Sat. lunch and Sun. breaky. This has been tradition as far as I know and dated farther back befor the most senior guys can tell me! Its the Jr. man's job to do this in his own time durring off duty hours. As well figuring out what they will have for both meals unless suggest by the crews. The cost is split between the entire crew and sometimes money made goes into the canteen. Each guy on crew pays $25 every quarter to the crews canteen to pay for Coffee, Sugar, Creamer, Popcorn, Condiments and all that junk!

This is also ran by the Jr. man or Probie until a new member is added to the crew! All shopping and supplies are picked up after hours on thier time!

On special holidays or events we will do meals too...Christmas and New Years is usually paid for by the excess money from the canteen.

This works great and shows the rest of the crew and senior guys in the FD how responicible, reliable and if the Jr. guy takes his job seriously. Usually tells how the career of the individual pans out!
“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.”
-Archie Griffen

Rainmanjb

jr man in charge

Postby Rainmanjb » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:38 am

I llike that.... it is kinda a different way to prove your way!!! What city you in???

Belmont43

The Jr. man does the work

Postby Belmont43 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:37 am

[quote=""Rainmanjb""]I llike that.... it is kinda a different way to prove your way!!! What city you in???[/quote]

Yea I believe this works, exspecially to prove your worth in the dept. its a right of passage that everyone does. We are not allowed to go for groceries on shift. Out of all the Depts. I have worked on this is a great way to make the jr. man prove himself. I work in The City of St.Thomas, just over a year now! And love it!!!
“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.”
-Archie Griffen

Davidryan

Postby Davidryan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:39 am

Although all departments have their own ideas either on cooking in the shifts for lunch , or for dinner because of the fact that they have limited time ,that is why, They have not enough time for cooking . However, Some like to cook in shift for lunch and dinner too .