What's your SOG?

Safety and hazards on the job...
FLASHOVER05

What's your SOG?

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:23 am

I have to admit it's been a while since I posted a new thread.

What's your SOG for Fires involving structures with Alternative electrical supplies? Windmills or more specifically Solar Panels? They are really creeping up around here.

Thanks
How the hell did I end up here?????

LTPVFD

SOG For Alternative Electrical Supplies

Postby LTPVFD » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Hey Flash,

The use of solar panels and windmills is not common in our area, so we don't have an SOG. You may try contacting Finally437 as I believe she put together a comprehensive SOG on solar panel fires for her department :D

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Safety First - EVERYONE Goes Home !!

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:56 pm

[quote=""LTPVFD""]Hey Flash,

The use of solar panels and windmills is not common in our area, so we don't have an SOG. You may try contacting Finally437 as I believe she put together a comprehensive SOG on solar panel fires for her department :D

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD[/quote]

Hey Buddy,

We have an established OG in place, just wondering what others are doing.
How the hell did I end up here?????

Roadwarrior

Postby Roadwarrior » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:55 pm

2 things to be aware of.
1: Solar panels NEVER shut off. They continue to generate electricity, even when partially consumed by fire.
2: They create an additional roof load so the safety factor is dramatically reduced.
The SOG is "Be Careful"
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

Roree403

Postby Roree403 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 pm

I can't ever recall a fire that i was at where the hydro was iscolated prior to first in crews entering the structure to commence suppression operations. So initially it's business as usual. Although i am not familiar with every system out there, the ones that i have seen are equiped with a stand alone breaker panel sometimes on the outside of the residence. RIT while conducting their 360 would iscolate hydro (and gas) using this switch if possible which makes the only concern the panels and wire running to the breaker panel. If the switch is located inside the residence, hydro usually becomes a primary concern while conducting overhaul and secondary search operations. It can likely be located in an under control setting and iscolated.
"Amateurs built the Arc but professionals built the Titanic"

"Are we moving too far ahead, or are you falling too far behind"
Roree403

CountryMed

Postby CountryMed » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:24 am

Speaking as a firefighter AND a home owner with solar and wind power, there are a few things you want to keep in mind.

1. Not all solar panels are on the roof...mine aren't. So take a look around and see if you see any on other buildings (like a garage) or stand alone on a frame (like mine).

2. Even though there is a separate breaker shut off for the solar/wind energy coming into the house the batteries where this energy is stored can also be in the house. So you need to keep in mind that you may have a huge energy source sitting in the basement or somewhere else in the house.

Just a couple things to keep in mind.

CM