Catching an infectious disease

Safety and hazards on the job...
tristan439

Catching an infectious disease

Postby tristan439 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:06 pm

I am new to the forums, so I do not know if this goes here or under EMS, but this seems the most appropriate. I am wondering how often do EMS personel catch a serious disease and do they wear surgical masks to most calls as a precaution?

infernobuster

Postby infernobuster » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Most first responders have their updated shots on most stuff ..

We also try to take every precaution when dealing with patients, esp when we get the heads up they may have a communicable disease.

Gloves, eye protection, gowns, full face shields, (surgical) masks along with bunker gear are just a few options carried on front line trucks.
All men are created equal, a few become fire fighters.

EmperorPenguin

Postby EmperorPenguin » Wed May 07, 2014 11:36 am

It happens, especially when dealing with blood. I remember my first day doing hospital practicum a paramedic came in because he had accidentally poked himself with an iv needle. After starting a line.

I work with another guy who's had to go on the antiretroviral cocktail twice from accidental exposure, pretty harsh concoction not to mention you can not be intimate with your spouse until the tests come back clear while you ponder your future.

I wear safety glass to every call and watch those damned self retracting iv's cause they don't always cover properly. The mask comes out when it's a a serious enough respiratory infection, that one I learnt the hard way and ended up with a not too serious case on pneumonia. It's pretty easy to catch all sorts of crap now a days!

HookandLadder

Postby HookandLadder » Thu May 08, 2014 10:17 pm

I've found myself wearing my safety glasses on a lot of medical calls involving deadly bleeds, vomit, body removals and messy stuff. You never know when your going to get something splattered in your eyes, including a patient who has been spitting up.

And in my personal opinion, I wear my bunker pants on every call...not my station fatigues. I will swear by this. It is a lot easier to send out bunker pants for cleaning then having your skin exposed to blood, vomit and other infectious diseases that easily seap through a pair of station wear pants and shirts. Also, I'm always using my door wedges, vomit bags, my notepad and pen, small flashlight and extra gloves that I can keep in my bunker pant pockets and have on me at all times.

Just curious if anyone feels the same way about wearing the bunker pants to every medical call as well. I know some departments have different procedures on this when the medical tones go off at the hall...
" When the elevator doors open, if it's hot...dont get out!" - Lt. Steven McCaffrey