Just then my pager goes off...

DementedGreg_87

Postby DementedGreg_87 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:25 pm

Mine would have to be while I was shaving, it was a suppose to be a Natural Gas Pipeline rupture in another dept's area. So I hurried to finish shaving so I could go... wasn't smart lmao. What made it worse was it was just a drill that no one told me we were doing but everyone else knew!

Josh00

Postby Josh00 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Mine has got to be in the middle of high school class for a inbound med-vac with engine trouble.. Good thing the class was JUST filling up and only had about 10 people turn and look at me!!! lol!

DementedGreg_87

Postby DementedGreg_87 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:19 am

Josh00 wrote:Mine has got to be in the middle of high school class for a inbound med-vac with engine trouble.. Good thing the class was JUST filling up and only had about 10 people turn and look at me!!! lol!
its worse when your in a large school assembly with the majority of the school lmao

RugbyCanada

Postby RugbyCanada » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:53 pm

FitSsikS wrote:Firstly.......don't bring your partner's feelings into this!!

Secondly, that happened to me once (getting interrupted) and when I got back I had lost my place in the magazine.
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If its in English, thank a vet.

Pumphead

Xmas dinner

Postby Pumphead » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:08 pm

At our hall, we hold a Xmas dinner , cooked by us for our significant others. (also known as wives or girlfriends on our dept.) Dinner was for 7pm and we were just taking it out of the oven when the pagers went off. Structure fire.
The women had to cover everything up and put it back in the oven.
Good thing there wasn't much to the call. We were sittting down to eat by 9:30

PellattFire

Postby PellattFire » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:18 pm

Mine was while doing a presentation for a tender worth probably 30% of my salary of the year if the sale goes through.
Just set-up the projector and laptop and all the decision makers are getting seated.

Off goes the pager.

I think some of them even peed themselves I had it so loud.

Burning complaint. :(

I excused the interruption and re-set it for the remainder of the presentation.

I was asked later by one of the Board if I would have gone and left the meeting.

I smiled and answered by asking if he would want me too if it was his house?

I lost the deal but It was on price not dedication. :)

Pumphead

Trying to get to the hall

Postby Pumphead » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:22 pm

A couple more amusing stories have come to mind!

While on a dept. in Northern Ont. I get paged out to a medical call in the middle of the night. Picture this at -40 C (or F). The parking lot had been scraped almost bare,so when I jumped in my car to drive to the hall the one tire had frozen to the pavement. The tire went flat very quickly, so I ended up running the 3 blocks to the hall. I found out later that the tire bead had let go of the rim, but was not damaged.

Another time, I had a buddy over for the weekend to help with some bathroom renos. In the middle of trying to hang a piece of drywall on the ceiling (on stepladders) and the pager goes off. His wife steps in to take my place and off I go. They pretty much had the ceiling complete by the time I got back. I should try that more often!
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honour the men who make it their business to put it out?" ~John Godfrey Saxe

Pumphead

just then the pager goes off

Postby Pumphead » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:44 am

Well it happened again! Last night we held our annual Xmas dinner at the fire hall. The firefighters spent much of the day preparing a lavish meal for our significant others and a half hour before we sit down to eat we get called out to an attic fire. (Our dept only responds to about 40 calls a year) This is the second time in the history of our Xmas dinner that the ladies have had to put everything on hold and wait until we got back to have there dinner.
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honour the men who make it their business to put it out?" ~John Godfrey Saxe

Nagrom

Postby Nagrom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:04 pm

[quote=""Pumphead""]At our hall, we hold a Xmas dinner , cooked by us for our significant others. (also known as wives or girlfriends on our dept.) Dinner was for 7pm and we were just taking it out of the oven when the pagers went off. Structure fire.
The women had to cover everything up and put it back in the oven.
Good thing there wasn't much to the call. We were sittting down to eat by 9:30[/quote]

Last night we were geting ready to have our banquet, when a medical call came in. When the tones went, you should have seen the horrified looks on everyones faces. It was a medical call, and our stand in crew was just getting there, so they went, and got cancelled halfway there. That look was priceless. Ohter than that, I haven't been around for long enough to have anyhting really weird happen.

Morgan

Ruckus

Postby Ruckus » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:03 am

I've had three:

1. On the Can. The house is one block over from the Hall, closer than anyone else. I finished up as safely as I could, added about an extra minute onto my response time.

2. Returning from a morning Jog, walking past the Hall, I see the chief jogging towards me, and he yells that we have an MVA. I was wearing running shorts and socks. That was uncomfortable, and since it was a clear, 30+ celcius day in them middle of Rural Manitoba, I managed to get some nice sunburns around my suspender straps while we were cleaning up.

3. For our members that work outside of our pager coverage area, we have a relay system setup where a local business that employs one of our firefighters keeps his pager in the office, and pages him over the building system, as well as calling the members outside of pager range. I was on the list because I worked five our six miles from town in a building that happened to block the signal. Except I changed jobs, and on my first day of work in downtown Winnipeg, about 8:45am my cell starts SCREEEEEEAAMING (I have a custom High/Low ringtone assigned to the number of the business). I ignored the first two times they called, but on the third one I had to ask my new boss to excuse me for a second or or else they'd just keep calling back.

I have to admire their persistence though.