Just then my pager goes off...

FIRERICK41

I Dont Think My Pagers Goes Unless Im Busy!

Postby FIRERICK41 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:33 pm

1. 10+ times while in bathroom
2. 10+ times in shower
3. barber askes everytime now if i will have to GO!
4. first time with wife (you know what!) MARSH FIRE! GONE IN 3 SECONDS! SHE WAS NOT HAPPY!
5. WEDDING DAY! had the truck at the church to take us to the recption! you know what happend enroute to the reception! yep we were still IN SERVICE, and it was a structure! only 2 hours late and no pictures till next day!
6. Christmas dinner! 3 times

all i have to say is i married the best woman in the world, SHE IS A TROOPER!

PellattFire

Postby PellattFire » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:01 pm

[quote=""FIRERICK41""]
4. first time with wife (you know what!) MARSH FIRE! GONE IN 3 SECONDS! SHE WAS NOT HAPPY!
[/quote]
What was gone in 3 seconds?
I have heard of guys excited about the page but this extreme I haven't heard of yet. :D

Pager goes off before the action happens in this house.
After 17 years of marriage you don't want to be leaving during those rare opportunities.
It can be a long wait between Christmas and Birthday you know. :D
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
~William Shakespeare

FIRERICK41

Postby FIRERICK41 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:45 pm

3 Seconds Was Extreme Yes! But I Was Quite Quick To Jump And Run At The Drop Of The Tones When I Was Younger!
She Gets It Now And Yes She Is Still Liberal!
I Have Also Learned To Slow Down!(for The Call)the Extra 15 Seconds Doesnt Save The World!hahahahaha

RugbyCanada

Postby RugbyCanada » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:23 pm

[quote=""PellattFire""]What was gone in 3 seconds?
I have heard of guys excited about the page but this extreme I haven't heard of yet. :D

Pager goes off before the action happens in this house.
After 17 years of marriage you don't want to be leaving during those rare opportunities.
It can be a long wait between Christmas and Birthday you know. :D [/quote]

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! True, true.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If its in English, thank a vet.

Chief_Smith

Postby Chief_Smith » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:41 pm

[quote=""DCCHam""]I had the same thing happen......let's just say that my back wasn't the same after spending a week on the couch.....especially for a chimney fire in the middle of a snowstorm. [/quote]

I remember that night, i made the first truck for the first time as a Junior! as for me one time laying in bed with two kittens sleeping on my chest when my scanner went off, i jumped up and the kittens stayed in place, not very much fun!

firefighter26

Postby firefighter26 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:00 pm

Years ago we had a pretty big snow storm (well, at least for the west coast). The power had been out for a few days, which was common, and we hadn't seen a plow since the snow started falling, which was also common! A bunch of us got together and did the rounds in the neighbourhood to make sure everyone was getting along alright. It was just starting to turn to dusk when we all ended up back at my place. It was a good central location, and we had a generator!

We were all sitting around the fireplace in the living room deciding what we were going to accomplish tomorrow when the pagers went off. You'd be surprised how LOUD 10 pagers going off at once is!

Things started to go downhill when all 10 of us crammed into the 8x8 'mud room' - all trying to get our boots and winter jackets on! How we managed to do that without half a dozen black eyes I will never know!

After, we all ran to the hall (which was only a few doors up the road), slipping and sliding all the way! The call was for a chimney fire so we rolled our mini-pumper as it was about the only thing that could make it down the up-plowed roads (1.5 feet of accumulated, wet packed snow that was never plowed. Could barely walk on it, let alone drive). Luckily the address was only a few blocks away and the fire was out!

Been lucky enough to have never been caught "in the moment." Though there have been a few close calls both "pre-moment" and "post-moment" :D
"No one ever called the fire department for doing something smart"
- Unknown

"If you don't like what you see, Why don't you fight it?
If you know there's something wrong, Why don't you right it?"
- Trooper

fyrball

Postby fyrball » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:41 pm

Wow, popular post. 2years strong now.

I've had the pager go at job interviews; while dealing with upset clients; talking on the phone long dist with family; a few during the "intimate moments", including one when I took the wife to "check out" the new pumper!! But now wifey is also on the dept, so it makes her a little more understanding...

also had one during Xmas dinner...both wife and I get up, respond, half way to hall before we realize it was a test page (tuesday night test page on Xmas day....)

rescuechris

Postby rescuechris » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm

As a captain, I can send pages... so while out on a date which wasn't going so well, I excused myself to go the washroom and paged myself (there's a slight delay) I swing by the waitress, pay the bill, sit back down with my date, and lo and behold, the pager goes off. Quick kiss on the cheek, thank her for a lovely time and high ail it out of there.

At about the same moment that I get into my car, the pager goes off for an actual call. Good thing, cause I almost felt guilty.
Git er done!

Firefighting, 250 years of tradition unimpeded by progress!

JrFFHopeful308

Postby JrFFHopeful308 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:19 am

[quote=""rescuechris""]As a captain, I can send pages... so while out on a date which wasn't going so well, I excused myself to go the washroom and paged myself (there's a slight delay) I swing by the waitress, pay the bill, sit back down with my date, and lo and behold, the pager goes off. Quick kiss on the cheek, thank her for a lovely time and high ail it out of there.

At about the same moment that I get into my car, the pager goes off for an actual call. Good thing, cause I almost felt guilty.[/quote]

I like that, wish I could send pages, there's been many times in my life where I'd like to be someplace else and that would be a nice excuse (maybe).

Mine did get me out of a rather intense family discussion with my grandmother. She'd come into our house and was talking to us about several things, and I was kinda uncomfortable. I usually leave my pager on open frequency, but it's a little annoying to people not used to it when it's chattering random things related to the one career station on the system, so I'd clicked it back to my station's channel. It goes off, and it's 8 o'clock, so not message time. I rocketed out of that kitchen, up the stairs, grabbed keys then out the door. Lovely invention, that pager...
Volunteer Firefighting isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle.

Remember, smoke alarms and seatbelts only save lives if you use them!

DCCHam

Postby DCCHam » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:21 am

[quote=""firefighter26""]Things started to go downhill when all 10 of us crammed into the 8x8 'mud room' - all trying to get our boots and winter jackets on! How we managed to do that without half a dozen black eyes I will never know![/quote]

HAHAHAHA! I can just picture this too! :rofl:

I remember years ago while we were having a monthly meeting, we were paged out to a "Working Warehouse Fire" at one of our local paper mills. Seeing 40 men all trying to run through a single man-door all at the same time was priceless. :hahaha: