Where do I start?

sruscitto

Where do I start?

Postby sruscitto » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:17 pm

Hi all, Hope somebody can enlighten me.

A quick background:
I'm a 33 year old, established as a Computer/Analyst (<--I'm physically fit, Martial art background) in Montréal. A dad of 2, and I'm married. I speak primarily English. I'd like pursue my ambition of becoming a F-Fighter, but don't know where to begin.

Ok, that’s not entirely true. I realize I need to start off with training, 'Cept schools in QC are in French, And I'd need to re-enrol into CEGEP [college]. Has anyone a suggestion what should be my first move?

For instance:
Assuming I’m looking into moving province. (Shelf-life for an Anglo-phone is quite short here anyways)
Can I attend training in a different province; say Ontario, maybe as close as Ottawa for the time being?
Realistically what does it take to get even accepted to the program?

Naturally I'd have to quit my job, which even though helps pay the bills, isn't something I hold to heart. Still fact is that in quitting I'm losing my salary and half of my families’ lively-hood. All or nothing basically, but what other options do I have?

I'm thinking maybe Military F-Fighting training; I’ll earn while training. I'll be honest this would be the path I'd explore second. I don't mean to imply that I believe it to be second best, but I have a little boy (3 yrs) who is challenged with learning difficulties... It's not something the family can't work with, if I were to take the Military option, but my instincts as a dad want me to be close to him.

Like my title says, where do I start?
The only certitude I have, is that I'm not in possession of all the facts. So all input is welcomed.

Incidentally, is there already a thread I've missed on a similar subject?

Cheers!

t_lag

Postby t_lag » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:52 pm

sruscitto, I sent you a pm.
FTM - PTB - EGH - RFB - KTF - DTRT

ndvfd_ff33

Postby ndvfd_ff33 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:21 pm

sruscitto wrote:Hi all, Hope somebody can enlighten me.

A quick background:
I'm a 33 year old, established as a Computer/Analyst (<--I'm physically fit, Martial art background) in Montréal. A dad of 2, and I'm married. I speak primarily English. I'd like pursue my ambition of becoming a F-Fighter, but don't know where to begin.

Ok, that’s not entirely true. I realize I need to start off with training, 'Cept schools in QC are in French, And I'd need to re-enrol into CEGEP [college]. Has anyone a suggestion what should be my first move?

For instance:
Assuming I’m looking into moving province. (Shelf-life for an Anglo-phone is quite short here anyways)
Can I attend training in a different province; say Ontario, maybe as close as Ottawa for the time being?
Realistically what does it take to get even accepted to the program?

Naturally I'd have to quit my job, which even though helps pay the bills, isn't something I hold to heart. Still fact is that in quitting I'm losing my salary and half of my families’ lively-hood. All or nothing basically, but what other options do I have?

I'm thinking maybe Military F-Fighting training; I’ll earn while training. I'll be honest this would be the path I'd explore second. I don't mean to imply that I believe it to be second best, but I have a little boy (3 yrs) who is challenged with learning difficulties... It's not something the family can't work with, if I were to take the Military option, but my instincts as a dad want me to be close to him.

Like my title says, where do I start?
The only certitude I have, is that I'm not in possession of all the facts. So all input is welcomed.

Incidentally, is there already a thread I've missed on a similar subject?

Cheers!
On the topic of the military, beleive me you can have your son and family near you. You may be away from him during your BMQ(Basic Training) but after that you can have him and your family with you. If you do go to the military be prepared for at least a 4-5 year commitment. Try not to be like some guys and just get in for your cert's because you get quite a few in the Forces and then get out after your QL5(Journeymen) course. It drives some(including me who would love to remuster to the trade) a little ticked.

Best of luck to you in your journey.

DylanDoane

Postby DylanDoane » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:12 pm

Maby go to Borden Ontairo

ndvfd_ff33

Postby ndvfd_ff33 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:00 pm

[quote=""DylanDoane""]Maby go to Borden Ontairo[/quote]

What do you mean go to Borden? You don't just come here.