Would like to get some help.

jcl4

Would like to get some help.

Postby jcl4 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:56 am

Hi everyone, I am 24 and from Richmond BC.
I really want to be a firefighter, since young but family wouldn't support me.
Just recently they change their view and don't have a problem with me being a firefighter anymore. So I would really want to know how to get started.

I have a bachelor's degree major in economics and minor in education and technology, had worked in all kind of jobs: insurance agent, purchasing manager, sports instructor for kids, security guard, warehouse clerk.

Would be very helpful if any of you can point me in the right direction, as what I should be doing from now on?
Would I need some other work experience? If so what? ( hopefully not too hard to find)
What are the minimal courses I would have to take? What would be the cheapest way to get the requirement? ( asking because I still am paying my student loan for university)
What are my chances of getting hire if I finish the courses? Is it really hard to get hire?

Thanks in advance for any help!

mrfd274

Postby mrfd274 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 am

Check out Maple Ridge; if accepted as a POC you are trained to recieve a IFSAC 1001 certification while you are a member. No cost other than your time. You can continue to work fulltime while getting your Firefighter 2 / NFPA 1001.

jcl4

Postby jcl4 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:58 pm

That would be the cheapest way to do it, but I don't live in Maple Ridge.
I see the JIBC course are in Maple Ridge as well.
Are there any alternatives? Somewhere closer to Vancouver/Richmond?
And I really would want to know how hard is it to actually get a career in firefighting?
If I have all the requirements stated on the municipal website?

Adrenalin_Junky

Postby Adrenalin_Junky » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:43 am

do a quick search of the site mate. Lots of info on here, just start looking around and reading.