City of Surrey, B.C.
As the leader of the Surrey Fire Service (SFS) and a member of the City of Surrey’s senior executive team, the Fire Chief is accountable for the effective delivery of fire suppression, first response, protection, education, prevention and safety services for the residents and visitors of Surrey. He or she works with the SFS leadership team to conceptualize and implement the strategic vision for the department and has overall responsibility for the operations of 15 halls across the city, employing more than 400 professional and administrative team members. Serving a highly diverse population, the Chief is responsible for building a team that represents that diversity and supports an inclusive culture that provides opportunities for all.
- Serves as a member of the City’s senior executive team contributing to the development and execution of organizational strategy and City-wide objectives.
- Provides vision, leadership and guidance to the SFS senior management team.
- Develops and maintains sound, effective organization structure including development of strategic plans, policies and procedures.
- Works with senior executive team to ensure the SFS is integrated with City operations and services to provide support and expertise on City initiatives.
- Works collaboratively with partners such as RCMP, BC Emergency Health Services, and Fraser Health to optimize resource deployment and enhance services to citizens.
- Ensures that the recruitment, selection, training and development of individuals supports the organization’s commitment to excellence, diversity and personal leadership.
- Responds to major fires and life-threatening incidents as required. This may involve directing operations at a major incident.
- Writes reports and makes presentations to City of Surrey Mayor and Council, as required.
- Develops and maintains an open, collaborative and productive relationship with the International Association of Fire Fighters local executive.
- Performs other related duties.
The Fire Chief brings proven skills as an outstanding leader and communicator who can create an environment that encourages and respects diversity of culture, approach and thought. With a background delivering fire, rescue and medical response in a large urban centre, or transferable experience, he or she is recognized as a strategic and innovative leader who has worked closely with a broad range of partners to contribute to the enhanced livability and safety of a community.
- An undergraduate degree in business administration and/or a program in local government administration or fire service management. A graduate degree would be an asset.
- Extensive progressively responsible related Fire Department experience in a large, complex, urban environment.
- A positive, energetic leader of people who inspires personal commitment and motivation in others by aligning people toward a single vision and a core set of values.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills; known for dealing with culturally diverse communities and various stakeholders in a thoughtful and respectful manner.
- Has demonstrated success as an innovator who encourages new ideas and expects continuous improvement in public safety services.
- Excellent communication skills, (written and oral).
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated use of evidence and data when making decisions.
- Has played a key role in developing, implementing and evaluating the overall strategic plan.
- Experience in facilitating and leading strategic activities in collaborative environments with multiple interests.
- Possesses financial acumen, including experience in developing and presenting operational and capital budgets.
- Alignment with the City of Surrey’s Values – Service, Teamwork, Community, Integrity, Innovation.
- A Police Information Check is required for this role.
If this is the next step in your professional career, visit our website and submit your application to Allison Rzen or Shaun Carpenter at www.pfmsearch.com.
PFM Executive Search
Tel 604.689.9970 | Toll-Free 1.800.864.9970
Suite 510–999 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 2W2
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests