Cover Letter Tips and Tricks

denis57

Cover Letter Tips and Tricks

Postby denis57 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:50 pm

How to Make Your Firefighter Cover Letter NOT SUCK

What makes you unique? Why should you get the job over the hundreds of other potential hires? All of you will meet the same basic requirements and more-or-less the same certifications. Many have little or no experience; this is why you need a robust and customized cover letter.

Your cover letter for that firefighter position (even if you have no experience) is your elevator pitch, your first chance to sell yourself. To get to the interview stage, it must quickly point out the following two elements:
  • Why YOU (what specific soft/hard skills do you have that will benefit them, and what value can you add to their service) and;
  • Why THEM (what do you know about their department; their special equipment or divisions)
Firefighter Cover Letter Basics
  • First, each cover letter must be personalized to the specific fire department you are applying to. Generic letters are one of the fastest ways for your resume to be eliminated.
  • Address the letter to the Fire Chief unless the ad explicitly states otherwise.
  • Your name and current contact information must be clearly visible at the top of the letter. Make sure your email address is professional (not the one that is guaranteed to make your friends laugh). You don’t want to miss out on an interview because the hiring team could not easily reach you.
  • Include the position or job title (e., Probationary Firefighter, Career Fire Fighter, Operations FireFighter) as well as the reference or ID number.
  • The letter should be 4 paragraphs in length. Use full sentences instead of bullet points, and always triple check to make sure you don’t have any grammatical, spelling or formatting errors.
First Paragraph: YOU Are Their Ideal Candidate. Introduce Yourself and Briefly Explain Why

Introduce yourself, reiterate your name, so it stays top of mind with the hiring manager, briefly mention any relevant experience and pertinent specific successes, and years of schooling (if applicable). It is essential to summarize why this service, and state why you are the right candidate.

Use the next two paragraphs to illustrate these points and your resume to prove them.

Second Paragraph: THEY Are Your Ideal Fire Service. Tell the Hiring Team Why.

The rest of the article can be found here:
Firefighter Cover Letters That Don't Suck
Last edited by denis57 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

cscapinello

Re: Cover Letter Tips and Tricks

Postby cscapinello » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:07 pm

Just recently contacted EmergencyResumes and I have nothing but praise for the service provided by this company. Incredibly prompt and very thorough in regards to getting all the right information that they need to craft the perfect package that best represents you. After a long phone interview I could already tell the type of customization and personalization that I was going to receive and when I looked at the first draft I was blown away by the night and day difference comparing to a previous company I had used.

Can't recommend these guys enough!

mcfire01

Postby mcfire01 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:17 am

To anyone looking for assistance with their resume and cover letter - look no further. The team at EmergencyResumes are experienced with writing resumes and cover letters specific for each fire service.

The EmergencyResume professionals take their time with each candidate highlighting the candidate’s specific qualifications and tying those qualifications to the specific fire service.

This is a completely customized resume and cover letter that will be sure to give any candidate the best chance of being selected for an interview.

If you’re new to the game of applying to a fire service, this is a great way to get started. This will allow you to put your best foot forward, but will also identify any gaps in your resume which you could then build on.

denis57

Postby denis57 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:38 pm

cscapinello wrote:Just recently contacted EmergencyResumes and I have nothing but praise for the service provided by this company. Incredibly prompt and very thorough in regards to getting all the right information that they need to craft the perfect package that best represents you. After a long phone interview I could already tell the type of customization and personalization that I was going to receive and when I looked at the first draft I was blown away by the night and day difference comparing to a previous company I had used.

Can't recommend these guys enough!
@cscapinello

It really means a lot to us that you were so happy with our service that you felt compelled to post this! The exclusivity of the fire application process and the relative confusion that develops when going through it is exactly why we started our company and we're thrilled you saw the value in what we can deliver. Our goal is to sell customers as strong candidates no matter how unrelated their past work experience may seem and we hope we have done you justice. Thank you for your review and best of luck in applying!

-ER

denis57

Postby denis57 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:58 pm

mcfire01 wrote:To anyone looking for assistance with their resume and cover letter - look no further. The team at EmergencyResumes are experienced with writing resumes and cover letters specific for each fire service.

The EmergencyResume professionals take their time with each candidate highlighting the candidate’s specific qualifications and tying those qualifications to the specific fire service.

This is a completely customized resume and cover letter that will be sure to give any candidate the best chance of being selected for an interview.

If you’re new to the game of applying to a fire service, this is a great way to get started. This will allow you to put your best foot forward, but will also identify any gaps in your resume which you could then build on.
@mcfire01

Thanks for the kind review, glad we can help you out! :D