British Firefighter advice needed

Rothwell911

British Firefighter advice needed

Postby Rothwell911 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:57 am

Hi all,
I'm wondering if someone can help me? I'm a British firefighter with 16 years experience working for Greater Manchester Fire Service. My wife and I are currently in the process of applying to emigrate to Canada. We visited Canada last summer and I went to speak to the Fire department in Regina, Saskatchewan. I was told that firefighters have to have particular qualifications. The problem is all my training has been and currently is done 'in house', we don't get given qualifications as such. I would like to know how likely I am to get a job within a fire department as I do have the necessary training. I love my role as a firefighter and my career is the only thing I desperately don't want to have to sacrifice in a move across the pond.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy

TheGuy

Re: British Firefighter advice needed

Postby TheGuy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:30 pm

Rothwell911 wrote:Hi all,
I'm wondering if someone can help me? I'm a British firefighter with 16 years experience working for Greater Manchester Fire Service. My wife and I are currently in the process of applying to emigrate to Canada. We visited Canada last summer and I went to speak to the Fire department in Regina, Saskatchewan. I was told that firefighters have to have particular qualifications. The problem is all my training has been and currently is done 'in house', we don't get given qualifications as such. I would like to know how likely I am to get a job within a fire department as I do have the necessary training. I love my role as a firefighter and my career is the only thing I desperately don't want to have to sacrifice in a move across the pond.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andy
Hey Andy,

I can't speak for Saskatchewan but I know in Ontario they are turning to a third party service in order to ensure the candidates have what it takes to work as a firefighter. With that much experience, the practical stuff shouldn't be that much of an issue, maybe some slight review of differences between a UK dept and a Canadian dept with regards to tools. Look up the OFAI website, at OFAI.com

There are three stages to complete, and on that site you will be able to see which of the departments are joined with that process.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to shoot me a line, I'd be more than happy to help you out with whatever I can

Rothwell911

Postby Rothwell911 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks for your response and advice, it’s very much appreciated. I’ll take a look now and let you know how I get on.
Thanks,
Andy

firebane

Postby firebane » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi Andy,
Consider applying to Edmonton. They're hiring right now, and will accept some equivalent advanced first aid courses done over there, or if you don't have one, as long as you register for a course here, they may still accept your application if you can get the course done before hiring date. Best email them to confirm though. Edmonton hires every March.
https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government ... ecruitment
Cheers.