Any advice appreciated

jeffmeyer354

Any advice appreciated

Postby jeffmeyer354 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 pm

I’ve struck out completely on all of the recruitments in Ontario in the last year. Nothing back at all, I’ve had my resume done professionally and believe that I am following all the application guidelines properly, I have
Ff1/2
Hazmat ops
Emr
Licensed plumber gasfitter
Dz
Boat license
3 years volunteer ff experience
And about a dozen various construction related certs and safety courses.
Where am I going wrong, what could I improve ?

infernobuster

Re: Any advice appreciated

Postby infernobuster » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Dont take this personally but do you think your resume is "stacked?"

I can tell you it is not. That list you posted makes you an entry level candidate.
No mention of community volunteering at all ( that doesnt include fire) or any other courses that will set you apart from the 1000 people that apply against you, minus your gas fitter stuff.
All men are created equal, a few become fire fighters.

jeffmeyer354

Postby jeffmeyer354 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:05 pm

infernobuster wrote:Dont take this personally but do you think your resume is "stacked?"

I can tell you it is not. That list you posted makes you an entry level candidate.
No mention of community volunteering at all ( that doesnt include fire) or any other courses that will set you apart from the 1000 people that apply against you, minus your gas fitter stuff.
I agree completely.. sorry; this was not a poor me why haven’t I gotten an interview post. I was looking on insight from men and woman who have been successful, ie courses to take and such. I do have community involvement with the Various organizations in my municipality. I hastily wrote this post while hiding at work

bigsmoke

Postby bigsmoke » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 pm

jeffmeyer354 wrote:I’ve struck out completely on all of the recruitments in Ontario in the last year. Nothing back at all, I’ve had my resume done professionally and believe that I am following all the application guidelines properly, I have
Ff1/2
Hazmat ops
Emr
Licensed plumber gasfitter
Dz
Boat license
3 years volunteer ff experience
And about a dozen various construction related certs and safety courses.
Where am I going wrong, what could I improve ?
Inferno is correct. Volunteering - not the paid on call firefighting is a must. Most services won't look at you unless you have some.
PM me for more info
B.S.
"Anyone can be trained to be a firefighter, it takes brains to survive"