Cover Letter Tips and Tricks

denis57

Cover Letter Tips and Tricks

Postby denis57 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:50 pm

Too many candidates use a generic cover letter when applying. This is a sure fire way to ensure yours will just blend in with the rest. :banghead:

Let’s face it; applying for fire isn’t cheap these days. You want to take every opportunity to make yourself stand out. If you want to be noticed, you have to customize every cover letter for every service you apply to.

Remember that Chiefs and HR are looking for people who are passionate, dedicated, loyal, and who appear to want a personal connection with their service. What better way to demonstrate this than by seizing a moment in your cover letter to show that you have spent time learning about their city and service.

Cover letterhead must-haves:
● Name of Chief.
● Reference, job ID, or position number.
● Name of service.
● Professional email address.
● Name of position, clearly stated (i.e. Probationary Firefighter, Career Fire Fighter etc)

First Paragraph: THE INTRODUCTION - OVERVIEW

Introduce yourself, briefly mention any recent, relevant experience, year of schooling (if applicable), why this service, and why you. We’ll use the next two paragraphs to illustrate these points and your resume to prove them. :proud:

Second Paragraph: THE MEAT - GIVE A STORY OR REASONS TO BACK UP THE ‘WHY YOU’ CLAIM.

What is it about this particular service that attracts you to it? Take points from your research and put them to work here. Some examples might be:

- Community initiatives / fundraising / outreach programs;
- Special teams (hazmat, water rescue, high angle rescue, etc.);
- Training and education (AED training, prevention);
- Service’s core values.

Write 2 to 3 sentences. This will show that you have put thought and time into learning about their service.

Third Paragraph: THE MEAT - GIVE A STORY OR REASONS TO BACK UP THE ‘WHY ME’ CLAIM.

What traits, experience or skills do you possess that would make you an excellent candidate? If you’re having trouble thinking of some, use the job description to get ideas. Matching your skills/experience with those in the job description would be a big bonus (their Applicant Tracking Systems particularly love it). Feel free to write a sentence and use bullet points if you have multiple examples of this trait. :proud: Give stories or statistics. Write 2 to 3 sentences.

Pro Tip: Keywords

Repeating the same language used in the job posting demonstrates that you were paying attention and that you care. This becomes especially valuable when mentioning CORE VALUES and COMPATIBLE CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES.

Appeal to their ego: :adore: by being relatable, you become desirable.

Fourth Paragraph: THE CLOSER

Remind them what sets you apart from the other candidates - be confident, not arrogant. Show your excitement to work with their service and thank them for considering your application. :deal:

Did we miss anything? Something to add? Comment below

If you have any questions or to help clarify anything, please feel free to PM me or reach out on our site: http://www.EmergencyResumes.com.
Last edited by denis57 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cscapinello

Re: Cover Letter Tips and Tricks

Postby cscapinello » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:07 pm

Just recently contacted EmergencyResumes and I have nothing but praise for the service provided by this company. Incredibly prompt and very thorough in regards to getting all the right information that they need to craft the perfect package that best represents you. After a long phone interview I could already tell the type of customization and personalization that I was going to receive and when I looked at the first draft I was blown away by the night and day difference comparing to a previous company I had used.

Can't recommend these guys enough!

mcfire01

Postby mcfire01 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:17 am

To anyone looking for assistance with their resume and cover letter - look no further. The team at EmergencyResumes are experienced with writing resumes and cover letters specific for each fire service.

The EmergencyResume professionals take their time with each candidate highlighting the candidate’s specific qualifications and tying those qualifications to the specific fire service.

This is a completely customized resume and cover letter that will be sure to give any candidate the best chance of being selected for an interview.

If you’re new to the game of applying to a fire service, this is a great way to get started. This will allow you to put your best foot forward, but will also identify any gaps in your resume which you could then build on.

denis57

Postby denis57 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:38 pm

cscapinello wrote:Just recently contacted EmergencyResumes and I have nothing but praise for the service provided by this company. Incredibly prompt and very thorough in regards to getting all the right information that they need to craft the perfect package that best represents you. After a long phone interview I could already tell the type of customization and personalization that I was going to receive and when I looked at the first draft I was blown away by the night and day difference comparing to a previous company I had used.

Can't recommend these guys enough!
@cscapinello

It really means a lot to us that you were so happy with our service that you felt compelled to post this! The exclusivity of the fire application process and the relative confusion that develops when going through it is exactly why we started our company and we're thrilled you saw the value in what we can deliver. Our goal is to sell customers as strong candidates no matter how unrelated their past work experience may seem and we hope we have done you justice. Thank you for your review and best of luck in applying!

-ER

denis57

Postby denis57 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:58 pm

mcfire01 wrote:To anyone looking for assistance with their resume and cover letter - look no further. The team at EmergencyResumes are experienced with writing resumes and cover letters specific for each fire service.

The EmergencyResume professionals take their time with each candidate highlighting the candidate’s specific qualifications and tying those qualifications to the specific fire service.

This is a completely customized resume and cover letter that will be sure to give any candidate the best chance of being selected for an interview.

If you’re new to the game of applying to a fire service, this is a great way to get started. This will allow you to put your best foot forward, but will also identify any gaps in your resume which you could then build on.
@mcfire01

Thanks for the kind review, glad we can help you out! :D