Ripped off by Recruitfirefighter.com! Could use some advice.

cynical22

Ripped off by Recruitfirefighter.com! Could use some advice.

Postby cynical22 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:58 am

Good morning,

I'm looking for some advice. I don't want to come across petty or cheap, but I'm feeling like I've been screwed over here, and would like to know if anyone has thoughts or suggestions on how to deal with my situation.

I placed an order for a resume/cover letter through recruitfirefighter.com (sorry to mention the competition....from now on, its RFF).

I placed this order September 25th. I was billed the following day, and sent my current resume/cover letter to RFF to draw information from, and waited. A few weeks passed, and I emailed to inquire about the status, and when I could expect it to be completed. Nothing.

Another few weeks, more emails, and phone calls, leaving messages, and nothing. 2 months pass, and I feel I've waited a sufficient time for this service, so I now start asking RFF for a refund. Nothing. No return emails or phone calls. I take my complaint to the Better Business Bureau, as its the only place I'm aware of that deals with these types of complaints.

After the BBB gets involved RFF finally responds to my complaint, basically calling me a liar. I have forwarded RFF copies of my Visa showing the amount that I was charged, and still I have zero customer service from them, and no refund. The BBB closed the case as RFF has chosen not to respond to the complaint.

So what do I do? Its not about the money anymore. Although I did pay $55.00 for this service. Its become a matter of standing up for whats right. A company shouldn't have the right to do this without some type of recourse. I'm out $55.00, I don't have an updated resume, and I'm being ignored.

Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Thanks for your time.

Tim

FFWannabe

Postby FFWannabe » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:31 am

Hi Tim,

I think you took the course of action that was available to you, I was going to suggest BBB as well. If they chose not to respond, did they at least pay you back? You do have the receipt to prove that you paid for it. I am going to assume that your order was simply lost (and it's unfortunate they couldn't admit it), many on here have mentioned that the service has gone downhill. I have only ever paid for the emails and for a while there weren't many.

I would likely feel the same way you do, but there comes a time when you have to realize that you've taken the course you could and stop beating your head against the wall. I think you're doing something about it by posting it here... if people suggest they are going to use the service you can tell them not to.... do a search on this site as well, there's a whole thread about them.

Sorry you lost your cash... but spread the word so your friends don't! :)

Sue :)

cynical22

Postby cynical22 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:10 am

Hi Sue,

I provided RFF with receipts, showing not only my Visa statement with the amount of the Resume/cover letter service, but as well the matching price from the RFF website.

To this date, I have not been refunded.

I would caution anyone interested in purchasing any items from Recruit Firefighter.com to beware. Dealing with them has been nothing but headaches.

Tim

Scuba

Postby Scuba » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:20 am

Try contacting your bank in relation to fraud protection on your Visa... Depends on what services they offer - but it's worked for me a few times when I've been stuck for stuff I've purchased online.

vancity

Visa

Postby vancity » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:58 am

Your best bet is probably getting your money back from visa. The only thing is that it has been a few months and they may have a time limit. I get frustrated reading this stuff because these companies could do a lot more business if they would rectify a situation like this...but instead they would rather keep your $55 and let the best Canadian Firefighting website trash them in several threads.

squadgoon

RFM and the BBB

Postby squadgoon » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:49 am

http://www.bbbmwo.ca/commonreport.html? ... language=1

Too bad as Wendy used to run a good service. Clearly she got in over her head when she took over from Dean some years back but she should have got help or sold off. Sorry about your resume ripoff...Getting hired is a dirty game enough without having your cash scammed :( At least others will take notice of RFM's ways lately. Thanks for the warning!

FLASHOVER05

Postby FLASHOVER05 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:04 pm

Hey Tim,

My suggestion would be to take a drive to Guelph to RecruitFirefighter's head office and talk to someone in person. Bring yourself a friend who can colaborate your story while your at the office. Perhaps even consider bringing a tape recorder and inform them that while you are there you'll be recording any conversations pertaining to your situation. Bring along your visa statement your visa and any other documents that regard Recruit firefighter.

From what I have heard in the past This company is not worth using. I have been informed by friends that the company does not regularly update you and does not tell you of hirings any sooner than regular old word of mouth.

To tell you the truth since joining Firehall.com I've learned about hirings much sooner than anyone I know and often find I'm telling them before they find out.

Good luck with your fight
How the hell did I end up here?????

firelymie

Postby firelymie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:25 pm

If Visa cannot help you, and you still have a your Visa receipts then maybe you could try the small claims court. You dont have to go through with it, but if you give notice that you are going there sometimes it is enough to wake the individual up and for them to return your money. If you win in small claims court I think the loser has to pay all the costs of both parties.
I am not sure though, never been there. Someone on here probably has and has more info.

This is the link:

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.c ... ourts/scc/

Of course there is a fee forthis so maybe use this as a scare tactic.
Last edited by firelymie on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain O'Hagan: There was a time when we'd take a guy like you in the back and beat you with a hose. Now you've got your God-damned unions.
Farva: Cap'n... you know I'm not a pro-union guy.

FireInterviews

Resume/Cover

Postby FireInterviews » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:07 pm

Hello Tim,

Please email me at info@firefighterinterviews.com. I want to offer you a free resume and cover letter from http://www.firefighterinterviews.com.

Shawn Cooligan
cynical22 wrote:Good morning,

I'm looking for some advice. I don't want to come across petty or cheap, but I'm feeling like I've been screwed over here, and would like to know if anyone has thoughts or suggestions on how to deal with my situation.

I placed an order for a resume/cover letter through recruitfirefighter.com (sorry to mention the competition....from now on, its RFF).

I placed this order September 25th. I was billed the following day, and sent my current resume/cover letter to RFF to draw information from, and waited. A few weeks passed, and I emailed to inquire about the status, and when I could expect it to be completed. Nothing.

Another few weeks, more emails, and phone calls, leaving messages, and nothing. 2 months pass, and I feel I've waited a sufficient time for this service, so I now start asking RFF for a refund. Nothing. No return emails or phone calls. I take my complaint to the Better Business Bureau, as its the only place I'm aware of that deals with these types of complaints.

After the BBB gets involved RFF finally responds to my complaint, basically calling me a liar. I have forwarded RFF copies of my Visa showing the amount that I was charged, and still I have zero customer service from them, and no refund. The BBB closed the case as RFF has chosen not to respond to the complaint.

So what do I do? Its not about the money anymore. Although I did pay $55.00 for this service. Its become a matter of standing up for whats right. A company shouldn't have the right to do this without some type of recourse. I'm out $55.00, I don't have an updated resume, and I'm being ignored.

Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Thanks for your time.

Tim

FFWannabe

Postby FFWannabe » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:54 pm

FireInterviews wrote:Hello Tim,

Please email me at info@firefighterinterviews.com. I want to offer you a free resume and cover letter from http://www.firefighterinterviews.com.

Shawn Cooligan
Now there's some customer service! :)

Sue :)