DZ licence in a Fire Truck

Anything and everything Firehall.com related. Submit your comments here...
Lightsandsiren

DZ licence in a Fire Truck

Postby Lightsandsiren » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:10 am

Hey everyone, There is a guy in Lindsay with a full DZ course in a real fire truck. A friend of mine went there and said it was awesome. I'm going in two weeks. check it out. Safelane Fire Truck Driver Training it is safelane.ca Hope that helps Nicole

tylerdurden

Postby tylerdurden » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:52 pm

[quote=""Lightsandsiren""]Hey everyone, There is a guy in Lindsay with a full DZ course in a real fire truck. A friend of mine went there and said it was awesome. I'm going in two weeks. check it out. Safelane Fire Truck Driver Training it is safelane.ca Hope that helps Nicole[/quote]

thanks for the info!
im looking to get my DZ license.

Does anyone else know anything about this course?
any feedback or information?

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:35 pm

[quote=""tylerdurden""]thanks for the info!
im looking to get my DZ license.

Does anyone else know anything about this course?
any feedback or information?[/quote]
Waaaaaaaaay closer to you is Modern

http://www.moderntraining.com/fire.asp?pid=61

Lightsandsiren

Safelane Firetruck Driver Training

Postby Lightsandsiren » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:30 am

I just wanted to add that my friend who works as a volunteer firefighter went to this guy. He told me that this guy gets it done in 10 hours total. Two 5 hour sessions that covers 4 lessons and the road test. This is your D licence and Z endorsment! The firetruck is very cool and is fully equiped with bunker gear, scba's, etc. He said he also got alot of other information about firetrucks like SOP's, HTA related regulations, NFPA standards, and such. I just signed up with him as I'd rather drive on the country roads to learn than in the city.
Hope this helps. Take a look.
http://www.safelane.ca

Aerial1

DZ On Actual Fire Truck

Postby Aerial1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Just to add to Godspeed's post. Modern Training in Hamilton came highly recommended
as a fire truck training provider by a number of fire departments when I was doing research for my Ontario DZ Licence. They provide training on actual fire trucks with active firefighters as mentors in the jump seat. I have met firefighters that trained at this school a decade ago and they had a worthwhile experience then as well. It seems that there are numerous options for a DZ Licence on this forum. I did my homework, asked tons of questions and went with positive word of mouth feedback from former students of this school to make my final decision......

Good Luck !

masterstream91

Postby masterstream91 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:11 pm

I took the course with Chris a couple months back. Super nice guy and very good at what he does. Current Markham FF. Just got a newer truck, committed and dedicated to ensuring you pass. Like others posted he not only gives you all the information needed to pass, but also gives you a package of things that are just supplemental.

I would recommend to anyone that they take his course. 100% worth it

firetechevt

Just my two cents

Postby firetechevt » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 pm

We looked into all of these schools as well as going it alone. We were going to go with modern but didn't in the end. Seemed like a lot of cash for these schools for too little seat time. As far as testing on a fire truck ...... doesn't really matter. In fact it may be more of a distraction and pumper bodies don't lend themselves well to doing a thorough circle check. Not too mention some of these MOT inspectors already have a chip on their shoulders, showing up in a fire truck may just turn the screws a little tighter. We did the z endorsement separately first that way on test day all you need to concentrate on is your driving skills. Then we rented a truck with hydraulic brakes. We rented the truck for a total of 3 or 4 days (two weekends), and had a lot of time to feel comfortable driving it and practicing the circle check (which is as important as your driving skills). We put an add on kijiji for advice from a professional driver to come help give pointers (paid of course) in the end we went with a guy from wasaga beach who had just retired from teaching at a truck school. I think I paid him about $30 an hour. He came over a couple of times (1hour each time) after we put his advice into practice then he came over the night before the test and ran through a mock test. In the end we saved a few bucks (not a lot really) but had way more seat time this way.

Lightsandsiren

They don't make the penny anymore!

Postby Lightsandsiren » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Firetechevt, you have to put in at least 5 cents.
Seriously?!
All the time you spend being cheap, and the running around, bugging half the province, and you believe you are better off? I did complete my course through Safelane, and it was more than informative and I didn't have to spend two days in a classroom on air brakes alone. Surely you are not trying to get a job on the fire department? What are you going to submit with your resume? your rental agreement. lol
Congradulations on your new dz licence, I guess we will be competing on the next recruit drive somewhere!
All the best

firetechevt

Seriously!

Postby firetechevt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:12 pm

Seriously Lightsandsiren, Ill answer a couple of your points. If you read my post you would see that we didn't save a lot of money, that was never the point. I wanted the best education and experience for my buck, the end result I was looking for was a confident comfortable prepared driver, not to just know how to pass the test. Driving a retired fire truck with a bunch of old equipment on it was in no way beneficial to getting the DZ, however driving an up to date truck with modern ABS, stability and traction control systems was. I`m glad the course you took worked for you and that you achieved the goal of getting the DZ, I just felt we could do better and in our circumstances I am very happy with the result. I wasn't the one doing the test, rather I was helping someone to gain their DZ, I myself have held a DMZ for over 20 years, but thought it prudent to use an independent trainer to ensure I wasn't passing on any bad habits. Also I wanted him trained on what the MTO wanted out of a circle check, the circle check inspection I do is far more involved than what a regular driver would do and I didn't want him bogged down doing unnecessary steps.
We didn't bother the province as you put it, rather we had 4 responses from local professional truck drivers and ultimately went with a local recently retired trainer, who I paid 30 or 40 buck an hour for his time and professional advice and opinions. With the amount of seat time we had I was able to have him comfortable and confident on rural roads, highways, congested city streets and even in tight busy parking lots. By the time he tested the circle check was automatic and the test itself was a cake walk, even the MTO guy commented on how well prepared he was considering he didn't already have a D licence. What ever works ...works. The point of these forums is to share ideas and opinions and that's what I was doing, not trying to show a cheap way of doing things, just an alternate way of doing it.
So to answer your question no you wont be seeing me at the next job call, Im already on the job, but you may meet up with him, and just for the record no there wont be a rental agreement in his portfolio, but there will be a DZ, of course the firstaid and CPR, his Pre-Service(with honours) as well as his OFM certificates, so he is well on his way.

One question though, of the ten posts you have on the forum all ten refer back to .. or have links to this particular driving school, please tell me its not a round about way to disguise advertising on what is supposed to be an impartial forum.

tmoffat

Postby tmoffat » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:52 pm

I also have signed up at modern in Hamilton and have heard nothing but great things. Im about to write my d knowledge test and have been studying through the mto handbook. Does anybody know what the majority of the questions are based off of (traffic signs, rules of the road etc.)?