Experience taking Bunker Gear across the border?

Anything and everything Firehall.com related. Submit your comments here...
Bucko5

Experience taking Bunker Gear across the border?

Postby Bucko5 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:03 pm

I'm taking the Training Division course and am wondering if anyone else has experience taking their bunker gear across the border for the 2 week boot camp? Training Division said most guys rent gear down there as it may be a hassle at the border, however it costs $200 dollars...if I'm able to I wouldn't mind spending that money elsewhere.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers.

PNEFD

Postby PNEFD » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:27 pm

While I have no idea how airport/airlines handle it, I have taken both gear and SCBA across the border by car many times without issue.
Any opinions expressed are my own, and in no way reflect those of any agency, or person, other than myself.

Pickupman

Postby Pickupman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:10 pm

It is very possible you may be stopped because they think you are going to work, if that happens and you have to reschedule last minute training division charges 250 to reschedule your boot camp.
I rented when I was there and it was worth it, then you are not stuck cleaning your gear or if it gets damaged having to explain that to a fire chief back home. and bringing your gear makes you liable for any injuries to yourself if you gear hasnt bee maintained properly so I say use theirs. it isnt great stuff but if it gets ruined oh well.

PNEFD

Postby PNEFD » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 am

That's the little extra bit I should have posted earlier... I made sure to inform them that I did have gear and SCBA, and that it was for attending training (where and when), not work.

Pickupman does have a point about wear and tear on your gear though. I was lucky enough that my Chief approved the use, and was not too concerned.
Any opinions expressed are my own, and in no way reflect those of any agency, or person, other than myself.

fireemt

bunker gear on plane

Postby fireemt » Mon May 20, 2013 11:00 am

I have traveled to the U.S. several times ( texas) and internationaly( Paris, New Zealand)with my bunker gear and have never had an issue. If your gear has some " fire related smell" to it just double bag it insde youe bunker gear bag. Some times they open it and sometime they don't . Hope I'm not to late with this infor. I just found this question.

knowsnothing

Postby knowsnothing » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:13 pm

[quote=""Pickupman""]It is very possible you may be stopped because they think you are going to work, if that happens and you have to reschedule last minute training division charges 250 to reschedule your boot camp.
I rented when I was there and it was worth it, then you are not stuck cleaning your gear or if it gets damaged having to explain that to a fire chief back home. and bringing your gear makes you liable for any injuries to yourself if you gear hasnt bee maintained properly so I say use theirs. it isnt great stuff but if it gets ruined oh well.[/quote]

Seriously?

I took my gear to training division and was happy I did. My chief supplied me with brand new gear and it was way better. They run the tan gear there which is nice as we did too and I didn't stand out. They run black helmets for the general ff's, yellows for lt's and red for cpts. that was the only "issue" but I ended up being a lt anyways so.... it worked out just fine (I had a yellow helmet).

I was glad I took mine and nobody thought I was going to work.... jeeze, you think they have never seen a ff going on a course before at the border?

Pickupman

Postby Pickupman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:57 pm

Im not just talking out of my ass. A guy on my bootcamp was scheduled to a prior bootcamp and was stopped crossing the border at buffalo and denied entry forcing him to change bootcamps.

I doubt its common and clearly people have done it with no issue but you are leaving it to chance.