International Exchange

Anything and everything related. Submit your comments here...

International Exchange

Postby PatrikSweden » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:52 pm

Hello firefighting brothers and sisters!

My name is Patrik, I´m 29 years old, and I work as a full time firefighter in a city called Halmstad, located on the southwest coast of Sweden.

I´m looking for a Canadian firefighter interested in doing an international firefighter exchange, as it is a chance to gain international knowledge and experience within our profession, and it´s a great opportunity for a dynamic life experience.

We just finished an exchange with an Australian firefighter from Queensland, which is what initially inspired me to seek out a similar experience. My girlfriend is Canadian (from Barrie), and so it seemed logical to apply for an exchange here.
I live in a nice, conveniently located apartment, it´s a 5-minute walk downtown, and a 10-minute walk to the station.
Halmstad is an old Swedish town - about 700 years old. It´s mostly known for being the ”summer capital” of Sweden, and has many beautiful beaches.
About 58,000 people live in the city, and 93,000 in the municipality.
The firestation in Halmstad was built in 2005 and is the only full time firestation in the municipality with about 50 firefighters and a total of 100 employees.

It might be comforting to know that we all speak English at the station, and pretty much every Swede speaks English really welll.

The type of exchange we´ve done lasts for one year, during which time you trade work, living accomodations, etc. However, you keep your own salary, vacation days, sick days, etc.

I´m open to suggestions as to where to do the exchange, although I would prefer a bigger station.

Don´t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or you´re just curious.

My email is [email protected]

Best regards, Patrik

Canadian FF Interested

Postby Toronto134 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:42 am

Hey Patrick,
I am a Toronto FF interested in doing an exchange. I work in a busy mid town station ([email protected] st and Montgomery Ave) on what we call a Rescue truck. It's not right downtown but is dead center of the city so is a good spot to experience Toronto.
It would be my girlfriend and I coming to Sweden, we are experienced travelers and are extremely eager to live in another country to gain life and work experience.
As do a lot of Toronto firefighters since the beginning of the 24hr shift I live outside the city in a small town. It is about a 1.5hr drive to work. Ingersoll is the name of the town, and it is right along a major hwy and close to the city of London. It is not in the city at all but it would allow you to experience small town Canada as well as the big city. If you wanted to stay in the city I'm sure accommodation can be arranged through the brotherhood.
I am interested in doing this to start Aug 2016. I think I would have to go through the Toronto FF exchange program to make everything legit and it always begins in August.
Let me know if you are interested and we can have further conversations. If not that's cool, I will spread the word.

Postby CanadianFiree » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Hey Patrik,

I am an 8th year firefighter in Canada and my family and I are looking to do an exchange. If you are interested in coming to Canada for an exchange please get back to me. Our department has done exchanges in the past and would be interested in an exchange to Sweden.

[email protected]