Question regarding injuries off the job

Anything and everything Firehall.com related. Submit your comments here...
CAC2484

Question regarding injuries off the job

Postby CAC2484 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:21 pm

I have a question and am hoping someone here can answer and ease a Momma's mind here ;)
My son who is a Probationary fire fighter was injured while working out off duty. Nothing crazy just normal cardio he has done forever. The city has a year probation period which he has completed 9 months of. According to the surgeon, yes he needs surgery , he may be out for 3-9 months. Is there a chance he can lose his job? He has worked for years to attain this job, loves it and is thriving at it. If anyone has any insight that would be wonderful.
Thank you in advance and hope it is ok I am posting here.

Probie91

Postby Probie91 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:26 am

[quote=""CAC2484""]I have a question and am hoping someone here can answer and ease a Momma's mind here ;)
My son who is a Probationary fire fighter was injured while working out off duty. Nothing crazy just normal cardio he has done forever. The city has a year probation period which he has completed 9 months of. According to the surgeon, yes he needs surgery , he may be out for 3-9 months. Is there a chance he can lose his job? He has worked for years to attain this job, loves it and is thriving at it. If anyone has any insight that would be wonderful.
Thank you in advance and hope it is ok I am posting here.[/quote]

yikes, thats a tricky situation, I think the best bet is for him to ask HR what the protocols are for that. Im sure each department could be different, but perhaps they can place him on modified, and put his probationary period on a pause of some sorts? I would imagine that would be something that might be done, as long as his surgery would allow him to do basic other tasks.

bigsmoke

Postby bigsmoke » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:04 am

[quote=""CAC2484""]I have a question and am hoping someone here can answer and ease a Momma's mind here ;)
Thank you in advance and hope it is ok I am posting here.[/quote]

Strictly my opinion.
Is this in Ontario?
If it is Ontario a few things come into play.
This is in no way meant to freak you out but it is the lay of the land

Fire Protection and Prevention Act allows for the dismissal of a firefighter within the first year of employment basically at the chiefs discretion. I personally know of one case where the individual was told "you are not a good fit".
The dismissal was held up.

But, I doubt any employer is going to terminate an employee they have invested time and money in training without just cause. It would be tough for an arbitrator to call an injury while working out as "just cause".
The other important fact is a few years ago an arbitrator told employers they must take every reasonable step to offer modified duties for individuals. And employees were told if modified duties were offered employees must accept them.

I think if your son has been a good team player and shows a genuine desire to return then he should be fine but will be answering phones and filing and other interesting duties for a while.
Wish him best of luck and a speedy recovery
B.S.
"Anyone can be trained to be a firefighter, it takes brains to survive"

infernobuster

Postby infernobuster » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:21 pm

Tell your son to talk to the union and get their feedback. Than have them with him when he tells administration.

At 9 months he should be protected by the union now .. here in Ontario within 90 days of employment anyone can be fired or let go with no re course.
All men are created equal, a few become fire fighters.