Training - Who Needs It Anyway?

General firefighting discussion.
HookandLadder

Training - Who Needs It Anyway?

Postby HookandLadder » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:37 pm

This is a pretty good article on keeping up your training and not falling into the habit of getting complacent, the longer your in the fire service. Heres hoping the "been there done that attitude" will be a thing of the past!

http://www.firehouse.com/blog/10874226/ ... -it-anyway
" When the elevator doors open, if it's hot...dont get out!" - Lt. Steven McCaffrey

Adam_Eckhart

Postby Adam_Eckhart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 am

Great article for all of us. We often need a polite reminder to remain humble in the fire service. Amazing how much more we learn or contribute when we participate in training not just attend.
Adam Eckhart
Welland Fire
Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada

RSturman

Postby RSturman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:15 pm

That was a great article; I’m glad I found this thread and got a chance to read it. http://www.fireengineering.com/index.html also has a lot of great articles and news on fire training and drills. Here's an article that I really like http://www.fireengineering.com/articles ... ement.html. Thanks for sharing.

LTPVFD

Training - An Ongoing Requirement

Postby LTPVFD » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:16 pm

On-going training is important for fire fighter and officer alike. The senior members and officers should be setting an example - not standing around and watching. ;) It is their knowledge and skills that can assist the junior members who may be having difficulty.

I recently attended an Incident Safety Officer course. This was the 3rd ISO course that I have attended in the past few years. Lots of repeat information, but also a lot of new information. Also taking the course was our Fire Chief - a member with over 40 years of service. :)

One thing I try to emphasize with our members, and especially any new recruits, is that learning never ends. From the start of your fire service career, until you hang up the helmet for the last time, learning is an ongoing requirement. ;)

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Safety First - EVERYONE Goes Home !!

KarlGrath

Postby KarlGrath » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Great article. A necessary read for anyone in the service, in my opinion. Our department schedules training/re-training courses every 6 months to keep us all up on our training, and handling procedures. It's a great benefit to keeping your chops up at any age/level. And it's not hard to do when you have places like FireServiceBooks.com, that sell constantly updated fire service training books on the cheap. This is one of the most important lines of work - ongoing training is no joke!