Firefighter Certification

General firefighting discussion.
BlackShawn

Firefighter Certification

Postby BlackShawn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Just wondering what you need after completing Mod A and Mod B to become certified as a firefighter.

PNEFD

Postby PNEFD » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Mod D and Mod E, Hazmat Awareness and Ops, then write the OFM tests.
Any opinions expressed are my own, and in no way reflect those of any agency, or person, other than myself.

BlackShawn

Postby BlackShawn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Thanks... are you sure they have a mod d and e still? I didn't see that when I was looking around.

PNEFD

Postby PNEFD » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:27 pm

It may or may not... pretty sure they were still offering them last year. Things are in a state of change at the OFM with the transition to NFPA standards...
Any opinions expressed are my own, and in no way reflect those of any agency, or person, other than myself.

FF95

Postby FF95 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:27 am

[quote=""BlackShawn""]Thanks... are you sure they have a mod d and e still? I didn't see that when I was looking around.[/quote]

Mods D & E dont exist anymore, they were condensed into A & B so once you write those you are eligible to write component 1.

Are you looking into what it takes to complete the firefighting program through the ofc or become a certified firefighter?

If you want to be a certified firefighter your time is running out. It will not exist come April 1, 2014. Like pnefd mentioned you need to complete all the testing through the ofm (components 1,2,3 &4) pump ops and a specialized course (hazmat ops will suffice).

You will also need to complete the on the job training/skills book. These are tasks that will either have to be simulated or actually done on the fire ground at an actual incident so if you are not a member of a municipal fire dept you're out of luck. All of these skills will have to be witnessed & signed off by a company officer (think tf is acceptable as well).

Takes approx. 5 yrs experience to have all the tasks complete. If you have been a ff for that long then you can get credit for tasks that you've previously completed. As long as you and the company officer/ tf can substantiate that work then mark as complete. The books are ordered through your dept from the oafc I believe.

Any other questions just ask. I went through the process back in 2009.
Last edited by FF95 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

pumper2013

Postby pumper2013 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:42 pm

With these changes coming into effect what happens to the people that have their pre-service complete but not the ofm tests completed? Are the four ofm tests going to be eliminated?

Graham11

retesting

Postby Graham11 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Does anyone know how/where to retest for IFSAC in canada? I'm certified in Pro Board for FF1, FF2, aware, ops and just took my IFSAC test. I passed the test overall, but fell one percent short from passing one of the sections; which I heard means i must retest that section in order to receive my seals? any help would be appreciated!!

momof

Pre-Service - OFM Exam

Postby momof » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:57 am

[quote=""pumper2013""]With these changes coming into effect what happens to the people that have their pre-service complete but not the ofm tests completed? Are the four ofm tests going to be eliminated?[/quote]

Have been trying to find out that answer. College websites are still saying, that following the completion of the course, you will be able to write the OFM exam. This is stated in their upcoming 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 course offerings. FESTI is also saying their graduates are able to write the OFM exam.

Anybody out there know what's up??

Thanks

smalltownff

My two cents

Postby smalltownff » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi all, I have just attended an NFPA evaluators seminar at the OFC and it was stated to us in the following way. After April 1/2014 the OFM (now OFMEM if you care) will no longer administer tests 2 or 3. These are based on other non-applicable NFPA standards such as 1006, or Ontario specific references ie the Ontario Fire and Building codes, so do not apply directly to NFPA 1001 and 1002 firefighter specific standards, in this case the certificates most are seeking. We were told after April 1/2014, tests 1 and 4 which both transfer over to NFPA a little more seamlessly, will be revised and people will be able to write these. However, I am unsure how long this will last, as people have stated before, the complete changeover to NFPA by the OFM will change a lot more than meets the eye. So my advice, and what I have been having our firefighters do, is focus their efforts on tests 1 and 4 as these will have the most significance after the April 1 deadline. If you are qualified write all 4 tests now, and are not just starting out, do so however, as when they are complete you get your NFPA proboard cert in Firefighter Level 1 and 2 (NFPA 1001, 1002). Pertaining to the pre-service group, as I understood it, after this years students graduate, the new system will be in place, and some may even see the change this year by May as some schools are being used as "guinea pigs" for program roll out. I hope this helps, and I really hope I didn't convolute it further for anyone. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM and I'll try to answer.

BlackShawn

Postby BlackShawn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:18 am

Thanks for all of the responses. They've been very helpful. By the sounds of it I've got a bit more work to do.