Becoming a career firefighter

General firefighting discussion.
Desmond96

Becoming a career firefighter

Postby Desmond96 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi, I am looking for guidance on becoming a career firefighter in the near future. The steps I am taking are:

Firehall placement offered to my HS in Langley.
Will be taking PCP at JIBC
Will be taking Pre employment career firefighter at JIBC

What else would make my application look better than the other 100s of people?

Id do anything as this career is the only one id want.

otservice

Postby otservice » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:06 pm

Search this site as it's a question that gets asked over and over again. You will need your class 3 licence so don't get an tickets while having your N. You need first aid, FF1/2, 2 years University/College for some departments plus a few years work experience. Don't just take the minimum requirements, keep taking related courses from the JI to better yourself and increase your resume.

Interested in trades at all? Don't expect to be a FF anytime soon after graduating. Work towards a valuable trade or education that'll give you fulltime employment as there are 1000's of certified guys looking for fulltime positions in a FD.

cprted

Postby cprted » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:26 pm

I would take a trade and get some quality volunteering in rather than spending the time and money on the PCP program (unless you're interested in working for BCAS in the interim).

bloodyart

Postby bloodyart » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 am

While a PCP and 1001 look food on paper, experience in both real world and on the job would make you stand out more.
But like the others said, its a tough profession to get into, so it wouldn't hurt to invest into a trade or another profession in the mean time, but that PCP would help with the BC Ambulance Service, and any and all work done for them, would make you much more attractive to an employer.
But as a volunteer or career FF, its definitely worth it!