Medical

General firefighting discussion.
JEliz

Medical

Postby JEliz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:07 am

I've wanted to be a firefighter since I was 4 years old and always knew I'd go after that as a career. Unfortunately I was in a bad accident and broke my femur and tore my posterior cruciate ligament. The femur healed fine but I did need 2 operations on my PCL. I've since rehabbed and healed and live an active life. I participate in triathlons, cross fit etc. I also recently did the physical test for Toronto to see if I could pass it (which I had no problem doing). I've also talked to my surgeon about it and he said he sees firefighters everyday who are in worse physical shape (injury wise) than I am, and he has no problem with me becoming one. He said I'd likely need a knee replacement in my 60's (but most people will), but that's about the extent of my complications. He's an incredible surgeon, who's the Chief surgeon for the Canadian Olympic Team, people literally move here from across North America for him. He said he would have no problem "going to bat" for me if I got hired and I had to go for my medical. He also said he'd feel comfortable with me needing to physically help people and does not think my previous injury would put others or me in any harm. He said that people have more of a right to life than I do to a job (obviously) but with that in mind he still feels comfortable.

My question is, could/will my injury hinder my chances of being hired? I am currently in the process of looking at different fire training schools to go to. I really really don't want to spend the money and time to only be blocked in the end due to my injury?

Any help would be appreciated! This has realllllly been weighing on my mind.

Thanks!

Ps- my injury was 15 years ago but I did have my last surgery 1 year ago.
-J

NMFD2099

Postby NMFD2099 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:37 am

If you pass the fit testing, and doctors clearence then I dont see why an injury would make a difference, unless it literally affected your ability to do the job specific tasks, which in your case it sounds like it doesnt.

I dont believe that you will even be asked about injuries, its more medical conditions (can your heart handle the work load, etc)

PS. Just a thought, but you could probably even use this as an example in an interview if you're comfortable with that, or if you're asked specifically about it... example.

Q- Tell us about a time when you had to overcome a challenge in your life?
A - When I was young I had a bad accident that injured my femur, and left me in bad shape. At that time I was an active young man, and felt like I may never be able to do the things I did before. I made it a goal to rehab as hard as I could to get back to where I was before the accident. Now after some time of hard training I have actually exceeded those goals and am in the best shape of my life. The experience has given me the confidence to do just about anything I put my mind to..etc etc etc"

Add and refine this, but you get the jist. Good luck!
Last edited by NMFD2099 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LTPVFD

Postby LTPVFD » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:07 am

[quote=""NMFD2099""]If you pass the fit testing, and doctors clearence then I dont see why an injury would make a difference, unless it literally affected your ability to do the job specific tasks, which in your case it sounds like it doesnt.

I dont believe that you will even be asked about injuries, its more medical conditions (can your heart handle the work load, etc)

PS. Just a thought, but you could probably even use this as an example in an interview if you're comfortable with that, or if you're asked specifically about it... example.

Q- Tell us about a time when you had to overcome a challenge in your life?
A - When I was young I had a bad accident that injured my femur, and left me in bad shape. At that time I was an active young man, and felt like I may never be able to do the things I did before. I made it a goal to rehab as hard as I could to get back to where I was before the accident. Now after some time of hard training I have actually exceeded those goals and am in the best shape of my life. The experience has given me the confidence to do just about anything I put my mind to..etc etc etc"

Add and refine this, but you get the jist. Good luck![/quote]

Well said and great advice :)

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Safety First - EVERYONE Goes Home !!