Next steps?

General firefighting discussion.
Tender

Next steps?

Postby Tender » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Hey guys, I was looking for some guidance as what I should do next to help me get hired as a career firefighter. I currently have my NFPA 1001 and 473, IMS 100, DZ licence and some volunteer experience. For extra Ive been thinking paramedic, but only to help me get hired as a firefighter. I wouldn't actually want to be a paramedic. Also, would my Hazmat Tec level or other certificates help? Whats the best thing I can do now.

Thanks, I'm scramming because I have to apply for paramedic in the next 2 weeks.

infernobuster

Postby infernobuster » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Thats alot of schooling for paramedics and not be interested in it ..

Even after you get hired it would make a great part time gig.

Take some Technical Rescue courses, a few advanced first aid courses and ensure your volunteer hours are way up.

On top of that im sure your still honing your interview skills, and studying for the tests.
All men are created equal, a few become fire fighters.

GreddyHovs

Postby GreddyHovs » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:09 pm

[quote=""Tender""] For extra Ive been thinking paramedic, but only to help me get hired as a firefighter. I wouldn't actually want to be a paramedic. [/quote]

You really shouldn't have that mentality when it comes to education in emergency services. If you're interested in getting involved in the fire service, acknowledge that the majority of calls we do are medicals. I wouldn't want a guy on my crew who slummed through his EMS education JUST to get onto the floor then when I'm actually counting on him to assist me, he really doesn't want to and just received his education to get the piece of paper. Just my .02

bloggins

Postby bloggins » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:24 pm

I think where he's from "Paramedics" might be as bottom shelf as EMR. Not that EMR is bad- but for those thinking he means 2-3 years of education and practicums just to get on the job I'm pretty sure he's just talking about the emergency responder level.

As for a guy having to love medical response to get hired... more often than not it's an adjustment that occurs over time. Guys who shun it are quickly pushed aside by folks who didn't lie in their interview about wanting to help people.
B. Bloggins
AFD / FOD
"Because sometimes what they know CAN hurt you."

fire_cracka

Postby fire_cracka » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Do your EMR. It's the best certification you can add (per dollar). I don't believe technical rescue courses are worth te money but if you had nothing else to do and spare money then go ahead.

When you say volunteer experience what do you mean? Volunteer fire? That's great but now get involved in coaching hockey, big brothers, or working with the homeless. Other than that, I'd say continue to be honest and reflect on who you are and how you present yourself in life and work on what you are as flaws.you have to be humble and honest with yourself for this.

What exactly do you not like about working with a person who has a desire to help others, while you both help them through an emergency while advocating for them and educating them in a time of need? Sounds pretty similar to fire and I'd be worried if you feel you couldn't handle ems for a short term (it is probably the best path to fire)
Last edited by fire_cracka on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.