FireFighting BC Academy

General firefighting discussion.
av604

FireFighting BC Academy

Postby av604 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Hello everyone, so I'm looking for an academy to go to get my certification at. I was originally planning on going to JIBC as I went to an information session and it seemed amazing, however they have just recently changed their program and they are now online and 8 weeks practical. I am between choosing S.M.A.R.T academy and JIBC. It's about the same price, and S.M.A.R.T is a bit more convenient. I have heard that many halls prefer BC academies over an American one and S.M.A.R.T certification is done mainly in Texas. What would you guys recommend?

LTPVFD

Postby LTPVFD » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:09 pm

If you live in B.C., and are hoping to work in B.C. then the Justice Institute is the way to go.

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Safety First - EVERYONE Goes Home !!

av604

Postby av604 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:12 am

Thanks for the reply! Could you elaborate on why? They are both pretty much online now offer the same. I was very interested in the whole hands on aspect of JIBC but now they have that cut down to only 8 weeks I believe.

Smashdraft

Postby Smashdraft » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:49 pm

JIBC uses various Pro Board instructors that upon completion of varying courses including your 1001 program give you Pro Board accreditation. There are many companies throughout BC that offer courses in different areas (examples being Rope Rescue, Swift Water, Confined Space, etc...) but do not provide you with a Pro Board seal. They give you a certificate of completion of that specific companies program, therefore no real proof that the training you pay for is up to the certified standard even if the material covered is. When you go the JI route it is basically a guarantee to your recruiting agents that you have met the Pro Board standard. That being said most 1001 specific programs are Pro Board accredited.

The more hands on time you can get the better no one will argue that. But I am sure that most people will agree that you will need to get involved in a volunteer fire aspect or Paid on Call to be considered someone who has "experience" in the field. The paramilitary aspect of the JI will go along way in regards to your demeanor and presentation when attending recruitment and hall tours.

And if it wasn't obvious I was and still am a JI student so I am only one persons opinion on what I have heard and understood from my recruiting officials.

LTPVFD

Postby LTPVFD » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:54 pm

Sorry for delay in response as I have been away on holidays.

As Smashdraft has stated, you get Pro Board accreditation, which goes a long way when you are trying to get hired full time. ;)

Best of luck in your quest.

Stay safe !!

LTPVFD
Safety First - EVERYONE Goes Home !!