Things I should study & workout routine I should do before entering school?

General firefighting discussion.

Things I should study & workout routine I should do before entering school?

Postby Karma » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:37 pm

hello guys was just curious what books I should read and what workouts i should do at the gym before even considering entering a academy.

I have Tendinitis in my left shoulder so i have to take it a bit easy on that shoulder is there any routines or places in mississauga you guys can recommend going too? I know there is videos but i like going out to workout as its hard for me to be focused at home. These are probably questions that have been answered before here but thank you anyways for taking the time to read this

would really like to up my knowledge on everything for the written work

Smashdraft

Postby Smashdraft » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:44 am

You can give yourself a good leg up on your theory portion for basic firefighting by getting a copy of IFSTA's Essentials of Firefighting Volume 6. Many academies use this manual (and youll probably be required to get it for school anyway) and it contains the main theory portion of what you will be learning in your 1001 Firefighter program including Hazmat.

In regards to fitness thats a whole can of worms that everyone and their dog will have an opinion on. I would definitely look into strengthening your shoulder as that is a part of your body youll be using alot. Keep your cardio up. By up I mean if you come home and say "wow, I'm barely tired from that" you're not doing enough. Everyone likes to lift weights, little like to do cardio; but you don't need to be a body builder to be a firefighter, you do need to have endurance though.

I like to train with a weight vest on as its a way to try and simulate working with the weight of your turnout gear on. Work towards a high anaerobic level and you'll do fine. I'm not a crossfit fan but truth be told its a good avenue. Check out some bodybuilding forum websites for routines. There are plenty available, even firefighter specific ones.

I can't help on where to go train due to the fact that I live in BC. That one your on your own.

Good Luck.

Mike31

Postby Mike31 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:08 pm

I had a similar question about workouts, approximately 2 years ago. All you really need to do is educate yourself. Make working out, or even better, fitness in general a part of your every day life. Watch videos, read articles, sleep and eat well every day and you`ll find that you`ll want to push yourself as hard as you can in the gym every day.
As for the shoulder specifically, stretch it every day and work with super light weight and high reps to strengthen it. Don`t do any workouts that hurt.

KLew04

Postby KLew04 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Check out rosstraining.com for some training advice. If you can afford it, pick up a few of his books (DIRT cheap for the value).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-ini-Ru4w

Video of the author, his stuff will get you in shape for firefighting.