search and rescue jobs for medics

RIT, Hazmat, Auto-Ex, High Angle and Ropes, Ice/ Water, Confined Spaces, Search & Rescue
leafs

search and rescue jobs for medics

Postby leafs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:50 pm

I am a rookie paramedic working out of Halifax, with a background in environmental science. I have been interested in working a job involving search and rescue since before I started paramedic school. I love swimming, hiking, diving, skiing, and rock climbing and would like to incorporate all these things into a career with search and rescue. I have been looking into search and rescue technician with the Canadian forces, but that position is only available to existing members of the forces. Aside from that and visitor safety at Canadian parks, is there any other kinds of search and rescue jobs available in Canada that i might be interested in? Any advice is appreciated!

HookandLadder

Postby HookandLadder » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:20 pm

I know that most agencies for Search and Rescue are volunteer and have both urban and rural response. Usually it's just the police and ifre department who have all the fun toys like the fourwheelers and helicopters and such.

Have you thought about the Coast Guard? You can start out as a deckhand and work your way through the system or go out to the Coast Guard school out east? You probably already know where the school is located, since you are living out there. Cheers!
" When the elevator doors open, if it's hot...dont get out!" - Lt. Steven McCaffrey

leafs

Postby leafs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:46 pm

I have thought about coast guard but thats another 4 years of school then another 4-5 until you can get involved with SAR. I don't think I have the patience for that. Thanks for the reply

JayG

Postby JayG » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Canadian Forces SAR Techs are the best of the best in Canada.
It is a remuster trade though so you have to start out as something else. All SAR techs are PCP at minimum so you already have that. You could start out as a medic for CF and remuster to SAR Tech. Just fyi their selection is almost as tough as JTF2.