OFAI - Technical Skills update

Danica13

Postby Danica13 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:07 am

[quote=""NorthwardFire""]Hey Pondduck

I recently went down to FESTI to complete stages 1,2,3. Blew through all the phases but failed the medical scenario within 30 seconds. I was pretty stumped considering I have my EMR,ITLS and have a part time job training MFR for the City of Ottawa.

Obviously I was pretty upset due to having driven down there from Ottawa, 2 nights hotel, pass everything then get hung up on medical of all things and not even informed as to how I can improve.

The scenario went something like this from what I remember:

Don appropriate PPE
Enter the area and ask "gym manager" what was the issue.
Announce checking for scene safety,BSI, etc
Assessed patient was unresponsive
Went to check vitals:
- breathing check for 5 seconds no more than 10
- pulse for 10 seconds

That's when I was informed I had made a critical error and to stop the test. Clearly I'm blanking on something..

If you have any pointers or remember the steps from your scenario please send some advice this way, I'm rebooked for mid December. Looking to get it done for Central York.

Thanks[/quote]

I don't know the scenario, but did you stabilze head and neck? Was patient conscious laying down? Had they fallen?

infernobuster

Postby infernobuster » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:10 am

You identify yourself and try to get consent ?

You try getting persons attention prior to going hands on with them? Clapping hands, and than shaking body or doing some sort of pain stimuli?
All men are created equal, a few become fire fighters.

NorthwardFire

Postby NorthwardFire » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:32 pm

I identified myself to my proctor (who was playing the gym manager) by saying I was "from the Fire Dept, can you tell what's going on here"

He explained that the patient was running on the treadmill, became pale and sweaty, stepped off then collapsed.

To me that's a witnessed fall from low height and if he (gym manager) knows he didn't hit his head then there's no need for a collar. I find they throw off your treatments anyways (OPA/Airway management).

I then assessed LOC, he was unresponsive, I went in to check airway/breathing/circ and was then informed I made a "critical error".

I believe my fault was in not updating EMS he was unresponsive, just used to here in Ottawa where we get more patient info (Vitals/Injuries) before updating them as the call, that was sent to us FROM EMS,came in as unresponsive male pt anyways.

The guy before me said he went all the way to full on CPR and was informed "the patient has come back with a pulse". Not sure what he did after but he ended up failing.

Probie91

Postby Probie91 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:29 am

[quote=""NorthwardFire""]I identified myself to my proctor (who was playing the gym manager) by saying I was "from the Fire Dept, can you tell what's going on here"

He explained that the patient was running on the treadmill, became pale and sweaty, stepped off then collapsed.

To me that's a witnessed fall from low height and if he (gym manager) knows he didn't hit his head then there's no need for a collar. I find they throw off your treatments anyways (OPA/Airway management).

I then assessed LOC, he was unresponsive, I went in to check airway/breathing/circ and was then informed I made a "critical error".

I believe my fault was in not updating EMS he was unresponsive, just used to here in Ottawa where we get more patient info (Vitals/Injuries) before updating them as the call, that was sent to us FROM EMS,came in as unresponsive male pt anyways.

The guy before me said he went all the way to full on CPR and was informed "the patient has come back with a pulse". Not sure what he did after but he ended up failing.[/quote]

Really... they failed you?...

Didn't seem to be anything wrong with what you did. If patient is unresponsive its assumed consent. The only thing, like previously mentioned is the C-spine. I appreciate that you said it was a witnessed fall, but as we all know, witnesses can be very unreliable. I'd always fall on the side of caution, take care of that, and then proceed.

Danica13

Postby Danica13 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Since when do you have to tie a safety above the clove hitch on the F'ing extension ladder?

Pondduck

Postby Pondduck » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:10 am

i have never seen it done otherwise.
Last edited by Pondduck on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fahrenheit416

Postby Fahrenheit416 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:39 am

[quote=""Danica13""]Since when do you have to tie a safety above the clove hitch on the F'ing extension ladder?[/quote]

that's how we were taught in pre-service, and i recall having to do that during the training academy too..

Rescue78

Postby Rescue78 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:52 pm

[quote=""Danica13""]Since when do you have to tie a safety above the clove hitch on the F'ing extension ladder?[/quote]

The skills tested are put in place and reviewed by people with DECADES (with an S at the end) of experience in the Fire Service The NFPA skills sheets are internationally accepted standards in the industry.

Now, here is a candidate going through phase III of candidate testing. A candidate looking at starting his/her career in the Fire Service. And that candidate is questioning with arrogance and attitude the steps of the task he or she was asked to perform???? The way the question is asked leads to believe the candidate has lots of experience in order to disagree so strongly with those people with decade of experience. But how could they? They are a CANDIDATE!!!!

Am I the only one who thinks this is laughable and sad all at the same time? This person might have some volunteer experience. But still, questioning things in such an arrogant way as you are just trying to get into a career gives a pretty good idea of how you will behave once you are on the job.
Most people train until they do it right.
Professionals train until they can't do it wrong.

glorystomper

Postby glorystomper » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:53 am

i agree with you.

Firefighter0233

Postby Firefighter0233 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:58 pm

This is a basic NFPA 1001 Firefighter Level 1 Skill- and its a testable skill I might add.

Reply of the year goes to Rescue78