Stethoscope for practicum

prmdc_girl91

Stethoscope for practicum

Postby prmdc_girl91 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:14 am

So I need to buy a stethoscope for my EMT practicum (and in class it would come in handy), but I'm completely lost as to what is a good one to get. I heard a Littman (something) was good, but I forget what it was. Something good (not extreme) but relatively cheap (student budget!! :P )

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:26 pm

[quote=""prmdc_girl91""]So I need to buy a stethoscope for my EMT practicum (and in class it would come in handy), but I'm completely lost as to what is a good one to get. I heard a Littman (something) was good, but I forget what it was. Something good (not extreme) but relatively cheap (student budget!! :P )[/quote]

You cant go wrong with a littmann.The littmann classic goes from 80-100 dollars.Shop around for the best deal or get a few of your classmates together and try for a bulk discount.E-bay is also another good source.Or you can spring forthe cardiologist model,about 300 bucks.My wife has one and its incredible.

Spend the money the differencce between a good stethescope and an imitation is huge.If you cant hear it you cant learn it,IMHO stay away from the twin tube styles such as the sprague rapport or sprague rapport like stethescopes.Good in clinical settings not good in the field.

One last tip always be cognizant of where you have your stethescope,they can and have been used as weapons.

Dentedhead
Last edited by dentedhead on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

deville

"tubes"

Postby deville » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Welch Allens are good too.

North_of_60

Postby North_of_60 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:06 pm

I have had my Littman Classic 2 since 2000 and it has traveled many miles and on many calls and I am still happy with it.

I agree with Denthead that the Cardiology scopes are great, but $300 can be hard on a student budget, so go with the Classic as it will do what you need and it isn't too expensive.

Good luck on your practicum.

Stay Safe,

North of 60
They drop the ball....We get the call

DFCSmash - "THAT, North_of_60, is the best damned response yet to this thread."

WolfmanHarris

Postby WolfmanHarris » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am

The Litman lightweight is slightly cheaper then the classic with comparable performance. It's plastic head also doesn't get so cold on the patient's skin. I've used mine for three years now with no complaints.

FF12

Littman

Postby FF12 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:04 pm

I also, have the Littman Classic 2 and highly recommend it. It is highly durable, very good stethoscope. For your requirements I would suggest this one for any Emergency Response personnel as the Cardiology ones yes are great but as stated before are more expensive and are not completely necessary for your role, of Chest Auscultation, BP, and basic heart sounds. Good value at approx $100-120. I have had mine now for 5 yrs.

Hope my 2 cents worth are of value.

WolfmanHarris

Postby WolfmanHarris » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:42 pm

Don't forget a good name tag for your steth too. They're easy to forget on scene or at the hospital or mix-up with someone else's. I'm forgetful to begin with and twice now have had PD or FD reconnect me with an errant scope. (I won't get into the time I left essentially everything on scene when we were canceled off. ;) )

MafiaPrincess

Postby MafiaPrincess » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:04 am

I know this is an old thread, but I had the same question as a student back in September and didn't think of hitting forums and had to make my choice alone.

I worried about picking poorly, and the possibility of having mine misplaced and stolen. I got a littmann classic, got it in pink, and stethoscope dot ca/engraving offers free engraving on any order, so mine has my name on it.

Colour alone has made it identifiable as mine (maybe three classmates got something other than black), but having my name on it is nice. People who bought cheap stethoscopes have had problems in lab. Sim people are a pain to listen to their lungs at the best of times.. with a poor quality stethoscope you are at a serious disadvantage,