Manitoba firefighter not authorized to drive ambulance involved in collision

Punctualdeer

Postby Punctualdeer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:21 pm

mutts252 wrote:it's already been said, but i would sure rather have two ACP's working on me in the back and a FF driving, than 'waste' an ACP by having him take the wheel... sheesh if this is how they operate, they should look into plain old "ambulance drivers" with no medical training to drive the bus... :( frustrating issue
I thing you are right.

BenDiesel

Postby BenDiesel » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:54 pm

IF you have a FR3 FF, he is more than capabile to help out in the back. Usually if it's that serious one person is bagging or doing CPR. Maybe it's because I live and work around mountain roads but until someone is used to driving with a patient and a partner in the back, I feel a lot safer if one of the ambulance crew drives. I work on both sides of the fence and especially in volly departments, if you put a ff behind the wheel of an ambulance the adrenaline gets the best of them every time. Just my experience talking here.

mutts252

Postby mutts252 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:24 am

BenDiesel wrote:IF you have a FR3 FF, he is more than capabile to help out in the back. Usually if it's that serious one person is bagging or doing CPR. Maybe it's because I live and work around mountain roads but until someone is used to driving with a patient and a partner in the back, I feel a lot safer if one of the ambulance crew drives. I work on both sides of the fence and especially in volly departments, if you put a ff behind the wheel of an ambulance the adrenaline gets the best of them every time. Just my experience talking here.
speaking as a volly FF myself... we often respond in our medical truck (converted ambulance, as a matter of fact) with 3 or 4 passengers, all but 1 of whom are in the back (hey there's only 2 seats up front)... we have a fair bit of practice responding with passengers. i think the same goes for many other departments, especially those who have rescues with large seating capacities (9 or more, sometimes... yikes).

even if a FF isn't used to it... the practice we all have as emergency drivers would still put us in good stead to keep the ambulance under control, i think... who knows, maybe your experience is a really 'poor' sample (referring to FF driving only... lol), or maybe my experience is over optimistic.

either way... shame for this poor guy to have to go through all this! :(
opinions are like a__holes... everybody has one.

if you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.

tmehmel

Postby tmehmel » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:04 pm

update to this thread.

We have now been told that we are clear to drive the ambulance now with 2 paramedics in the back. Apparently there was an amendment made to the legislation around 4 weeks ago. Wow, someone came to their senses!!!

Thanks
Tom

K9kazoo

Postby K9kazoo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:34 am

tmehmel wrote:update to this thread.

We have now been told that we are clear to drive the ambulance now with 2 paramedics in the back. Apparently there was an amendment made to the legislation around 4 weeks ago. Wow, someone came to their senses!!!

Thanks
Tom
Slow it down big guy... certain criteria must be met and it's only in place till the 31st of December.

A memo circulated to all EMS Services in Manitoba clearly states that the use of firefighters to drive ambulances must be restricted to exceptional circumstances and is not to be used as a means of addressing operational challenges such as staffing. Manitoba Health also released a Treatment Guideline that very clearly defines the parameters around how this order may be used:

Regions/Services must have a policy in place that limits use of the Order to occasions where:

Both EMS crew members are required to actively provide care in response to a serious threat to life and/or limb, AND

Additional EMS resources are not immediately available and cannot be dispatched to arrive in time to address the threat to life or limb.

The Region/Service must file a written occurrence report with Manitoba Health within 5 days of the incident.

Visit here... http://pamchairman.blogspot.com/2006_10 ... chive.html

K9kazoo

Postby K9kazoo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:37 am

Forgot to mention it will not happen in Winnipeg until all our labour problems are worked out. Remember, UFFW has an arbitrated agreement that states they will not work on the Medic units.

B.

Hydrantcatcher

Postby Hydrantcatcher » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:30 pm

I had heard that there was only one patient in the ambulance and both attendants needed to be in the back to keep that patient under control. Now I have heard from a fairly reliable source that this is true and we should not always believe what is printed in the papers. So now if the EMS service involved would have activated mutual aid they now would be looking at sitting on the side of the road for a total of roughly 30-45 minutes for a second unit to attend.

Hydrantcatcher

Postby Hydrantcatcher » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:53 pm

tmehmel wrote:update to this thread.

Thanks
Tom
Who told you this? They need to get thier information right, lets all stop and look at what is going on here, lots of people trying to do and say the right things but nobody seems to have the correct information. I suggest someone should really do some research on this if we are going to be this passionate about it. Sorry, not trying to p*ss anyone off here but I have been watching this and just getting more frusturated.

tmehmel

Postby tmehmel » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:00 pm

K9kazoo wrote:Slow it down big guy... certain criteria must be met and it's only in place till the 31st of December.

A memo circulated to all EMS Services in Manitoba clearly states that the use of firefighters to drive ambulances must be restricted to exceptional circumstances and is not to be used as a means of addressing operational challenges such as staffing. Manitoba Health also released a Treatment Guideline that very clearly defines the parameters around how this order may be used:

Regions/Services must have a policy in place that limits use of the Order to occasions where:

Both EMS crew members are required to actively provide care in response to a serious threat to life and/or limb, AND

Additional EMS resources are not immediately available and cannot be dispatched to arrive in time to address the threat to life or limb.

The Region/Service must file a written occurrence report with Manitoba Health within 5 days of the incident.

Visit here... http://pamchairman.blogspot.com/2006_10 ... chive.html
Thanks for this link. Yes it is only to be used in "extrordinary circumstances" and a procedure is now in place. In most cases that we have run into, I beleive it would have worked fine. One case we were asked to drive for was a child with a severed arm and we had to say no. They had to wait over 30 minutes for another rig. I do not support the use of Fire Fighters driving to make up for the lack of EMS manpower and would like to see the government now increase the support for ems training. At least now we won't have our hands tied when an "extrordinary circumstance" occurs and someones life can be saved.
Thanks
Tom

tmehmel

Postby tmehmel » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:01 pm

Hydrantcatcher wrote:I had heard that there was only one patient in the ambulance and both attendants needed to be in the back to keep that patient under control. Now I have heard from a fairly reliable source that this is true and we should not always believe what is printed in the papers. So now if the EMS service involved would have activated mutual aid they now would be looking at sitting on the side of the road for a total of roughly 30-45 minutes for a second unit to attend.
Exactly the point of my earlier rant!!
Tom