ALEXIS CREEK: B.C. Ambulance under fire

Squamish-FF

Postby Squamish-FF » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:55 pm

The other thing you have to remember is the cost of living in the lower mainland is one of the highest in Canada, so to be able to afford a place remotely close to work, you need to have a decent wage. So forget about buying anything for the first 3-4 years working for $2 per hour,the banks would laugh you out of the office.

I have to work 6 shifts with 2 off, to barely make ends meet. I live in Squamish, I could never afford to live in North Vancouver where I work. So, I commute.

All we want is to be paid similar to other emergency workers. Right now, we are $10 per hour behind a Vancouver Police constable and considerably less than our FD members that we work along side.

So, new up and coming medics, don't sell yourself short. Don't be happy with $2 per hour, that is how this cheap-ass management gets away with this crap for so long! When the crap hits the fan and you are in dire straights, you can't argue that you want a well trained and satisfied medic to be working on you, not some half-assed person is disgruntled and burnt out!

Bubba

The BIG Picture

Postby Bubba » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:20 pm

Looking through this thread I see no mention of holding the provincial government responsible for the shameful lack of service to all British Columbian's. Are even the unions that serve provincial workers now so weak that they dare not rock the boat for fear of ?. Complaining about your wages ( or lack of ) is futile, unless you and your brothers and sisters do it collectively.
Fire departments haven't helped this issue by becoming "first responders". Does no one remember the beefs in the 80's and early 90's over this ?. Until FD's start doing transport, BCAS are the body snatchers... period.
They need to be manned and ready to respond. I cant believe there has been no concerted effort to put this issue in the public eye other than to show how the service is dwindling. Get your stewards to grow a set and take up these issues with your business agent and fix this problem. Or are ambulance services the next thing to become privatized ?.

I guess this qualifies as a rant but really... bitching about it here does no good at all either.

nffd141

Postby nffd141 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:39 pm

I don't know if you saw or not but on October 7 there was a ralley held at Canada place in Vancouver. Over 500 BCAS members showed up to make all these issuses public and try to bring them to the public. The government is already starting the privatizing ball rolling by putting transfers out for tender and letting companies like SN transport exist. They want nothing to do with our wage talks.

Bubba

I know I post like a knob...

Postby Bubba » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Thought sure someone would be calling me out on this...

Didn't know about that rally, what came of it ?. Was there a minister responsible or any other big cheeses there promising action ?. This dilemma is happening all over the province, I understand that BCAS is an essential service and it is difficult to send a clear message to management but I'm sure with some kind of promoted public forum there would be overwhelming support. The middle class is taking hits pretty much daily now and it seems to me that the organizations that have the most to lose and are closest to whatever issue needs addressing need to get better at making the need for public support known. Our unions should have petitions on their websites and lobbyists or whatever in the faces of decision makers with the media there pounding for answers.
What are your dues doing for you anyways ?, I'd be all over that if it was my ass on the block. Then I'd post on here and anywhere else I could encouraging a response. What if right after a report on the news there was a commercial about some easy way for the people to participate in letting governments know that an issue is known and needs prompt action.
I'm dreaming... I know, spoke with a local attendant last night, they didn't even know who their steward was, and yes they were on standby @ $ 2.00 an hour, sad days indeed.

nocomment

Postby nocomment » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:07 pm

"nffd141" wrote: The government is already starting the privatizing ball rolling by putting transfers out for tender and letting companies like SN transport exist. They want nothing to do with our wage talks.

Why would your union allow this without a fight? When is your current contract up?

nffd141

Postby nffd141 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:43 pm

The contract is up soon. IMHO the union has done to little in the past and starting to put up a front now is too little to late. Im hopeing for a cleaning house of the union and get some fresh faces and get rid of the old guard. I want to have a future where all i have to do is worry about going to work and doing good calls not worring about weather or not I can pay the bills.

bcasmed

Postby bcasmed » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:44 pm

"I would do the job for minimum wage. There are actually some people out there, that are there for the job and not the money"

Great in theory. Only a problem is those "nice" people don't always make the best medics. Many young people who are outstanding medics leave the profession because they know they can do better. Your encouraging mediocrity. This entire PT work for the first 5 or so years only encourages the weakest to stay around. There are some great medics out there, but the system still discourages the strongest applicants. Intelligent, hard working individuals want to work where their appreciated.

I could care less about hiring altruistic applicants for BCAS. I want to work side by side with the guy/gal who could have been a doctor, lawyer, or CEO but actually CHOSE to be a medic. I don't want some plug who waited around because...well that's all you really have to do. Stay around and wait for that full time spot. It's just embarrassing.

I hope it merges with fire or municipalities start making their own EHS systems. That way they can obtain competitive applicants and start making medics an occupation to be proud of.

dentedhead

Postby dentedhead » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:03 pm

"bcasmed" wrote:"I would do the job for minimum wage. There are actually some people out there, that are there for the job and not the money"

Great in theory. Only a problem is those "nice" people don't always make the best medics. Many young people who are outstanding medics leave the profession because they know they can do better. Your encouraging mediocrity. This entire PT work for the first 5 or so years only encourages the weakest to stay around. There are some great medics out there, but the system still discourages the strongest applicants. Intelligent, hard working individuals want to work where their appreciated.

I could care less about hiring altruistic applicants for BCAS. I want to work side by side with the guy/gal who could have been a doctor, lawyer, or CEO but actually CHOSE to be a medic. I don't want some plug who waited around because...well that's all you really have to do. Stay around and wait for that full time spot. It's just embarrassing.

I hope it merges with fire or municipalities start making their own EHS systems. That way they can obtain competitive applicants and start making medics an occupation to be proud of.

Whoever made the do it for min wage comment,thats exactly why you are in the predicament you are.Take your stones out of managments purse and stand up for your selves.

The points made by bcasmed are bang on.I started in EMS when it was full of frustated cops and FFs.Some did a good job others were borderline psycho.Now you get ppl are growing up and wanting to be medics,the profession has come a long way but still has a long way to go.

The hiring and retention in BC has to be abysmal.Maybe downloading to UTMs would be th ebest thing for all involved.

Dentedhead
Thousand a week for hide and seek on call when Im paid to be.

Comox30

Postby Comox30 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Be careful what you wish for with regards to amalgamation with the fire services in B.C. as most Fire Departments in this province as elsewhere are volunteer with little or no compensation.

nocomment

Postby nocomment » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:12 pm

[quote=""Comox30""]Be careful what you wish for with regards to amalgamation with the fire services in B.C. as most Fire Departments in this province as elsewhere are volunteer with little or no compensation.[/quote]
I don't think it would mean FT Paramedics being placed into Volunteer firehalls in BC's smaller communities more like cities around Metro Vancouver that have a majority of the population and the high call volume.