Legal Cannabis and Firefighting

Discuss the daily fire and rescue related headlines from across Canada featured on Firehall.com...
NLWilliam

Legal Cannabis and Firefighting

Postby NLWilliam » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 am

Hi all,

I have recently applied to a few schools to do my basic firefighting courses as I have been interested in this field for quite some time now.
I am just curious about how the legalization of cannabis will effect firefighters... after doing some research online I haven't been able to find any concrete answers.
As a young person in his 20's, i have smoked marijuana on and off for about 10 years and believe that it is less harmful than drinking alcohol.
I see that most (if not all) fire departments conduct urine tests on their employees, especially as a initial screening test..
My question is should I give it up all together if I want to pursue a career in this industry? Is it alright to have a toke occasionally (obviously not on the job), especially, now that in Canada this year it will be legal?
Looking for some guidance, I have the utmost respect for all firefighters and hope that someday I can contribute to the amazing work that you brave men and women go through each day!

Cheers,
NLWilliam

bigsmoke

Re: Legal Cannabis and Firefighting

Postby bigsmoke » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:14 pm

My advice to everyone seeking a career is "all things in moderation"

Treat it like any other legal substance., Too much alcohol, cigarettes etc can affect your health and departments may screen for symptoms of that. (Some do and some do not.)
Canada's largest city screens for liver disease and does a chest x-ray. They screen for levels of all kinds of substances in your blood.

Cannabis in moderation like any substance on most individuals does not have drastic health concerns but any type of smoke entering your lungs can have a negative effect.

Clear as murky water
B.S.
"Anyone can be trained to be a firefighter, it takes brains to survive"

MCMurphy

Postby MCMurphy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:33 pm

i use to smoke on occasion but after graduating pre service and starting to attend recruitment's i haven't touched the stuff. better safe than sorry its a great job and i wouldn't risk it for plant

TheGuy

Postby TheGuy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:42 pm

MCMurphy wrote:i use to smoke on occasion but after graduating pre service and starting to attend recruitment's i haven't touched the stuff. better safe than sorry its a great job and i wouldn't risk it for plant
Like Smokey said, all things in moderation.

The only thing you have to consider is that THC can stay in your system for up to 3 months (or there about) based on usage, whereas alcohol has a much shorter shelf life, as it were.

Seeing as it isn't legal quite yet, I might just forgo it for a little while, see how things go